WebDAV using Owncloud: Linking to File directly doesn't work...

Re: WebDAV using Owncloud: Linking to File directly doesn't work...

by Andrew Oosterhoff -
Number of replies: 4

We too have started using our ownCloud instance to help with creating courses and trying to keep all the documents update.  It would be very handy to be able to link instead of copy.

I have only just started looking at this so hopefully I can find something.

In reply to Andrew Oosterhoff

by Paul Nebel -

I'm connecting to Alfresco via webDAV because Alfresco 5 has dropped support for SOAP and so the Alfresco repository plugin no longer works.  In doing this I have encountered exactly the same issue as you, whereby the originating server domain is being stripped out and replaced by the Moodle domain.  Given that my instances of Moodle and Alfresco reside on different servers this is obviously breaking webDAV links.

This behaviour appears to be an unintended consequence of this bugfix (MDL-37014).  This fix was applied to the file https://github.com/moodle/moodle/blob/master/repository/webdav/lib.php. Lines 123-125 appear to have been added to facilitate a fix to this 'bug'.  The problem is that this 'fix' has actually broken webDAV links.

I have no idea what side-effect commenting out these lines will have.  I will obviously try this and see what happens but this is not itself a fix because unless core Moodle is updated correctly I will have to continuously re-apply this fix with every upgrade (and face the possibility of breaking Moodle because of un-intended future side-effects) or simply never upgrade.

Perhaps a Moodle developer would like to comment?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Paul Nebel

by Guido Hornig -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Paul,

did you find a solution?

In reply to Guido Hornig

by Paul Nebel -

Hi.  I tried commenting out the offending code but it didn't make any difference, so unfortunately I haven't found a solution yet.  I'll let you know if I do.

In reply to Paul Nebel

by Guido Hornig -
Picture of Plugin developers

I can use the webdav on a windows client.

I can add a directory to my server and use it as webdav in moodle and on the windows client.

But I can not use the webdav path provided by owncloud in moodle.