Theme Essential Development Version - testserver only Message

Theme Essential Development Version - testserver only Message

by Harald H -
Number of replies: 10

Hi Moodlers,

i just installed the essentials theme (2.9.0.6) looks really good,

I know this is a beta but is it possible to remove the "Development Version - Test Server only" message?

Or do i have to downgrade to the last stable version

Thanks a lot!

Harald

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Harald H

Re: Theme Essential Development Version - testserver only Message

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Harald,

Version 2.9.0.6 is for test servers only, if you intend to:

• Run it on a production server, then don't.
  • Run it on a test server, then the message is not an issue.
  • Run V2.8.1.5 on Moodle 2.9 then don't as its broken in several places and not recommended.

The message is there for a specific reason, and will be removed when M2.9 production version is created.  If you need Essential for a M2.9 production site, then either kindly wait for its release or sponsor the theme.

Kind regards,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Harald H -

Hi Gareth,

thanks for the answer, 

i will wait, 

by the way...amazing theme!

Harald

by Jorge Castro -

" If you need Essential for a M2.9 production site, then either kindly wait for its release or sponsor the theme."

Hi, nice theme it´s so cool, please let me know the cost of the sponsor for the theme. Do you have paypal? 

by Carlos Andres Morcillo Tapia -
Hi Gareth congratulations for the amazing theme, I have a question When would we have the final stable version for moodle 2.9?

Thank you !

In reply to Carlos Andres Morcillo Tapia

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Carlos, Gareth has been asked this several times already and has consistently said that it will be released when it is ready and when he is happy that it is stable. There are several forum posts suggesting that if anyone wants this as a priority then the process can be speeded up by either testing and reporting/fixing bugs or by sponsoring the work that Gareth does.

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=317306#p1272216

Not just in relation to this specific enquiry, but as general advice to all forum users, it is always useful to check the forums to see if your query has previously been asked/answered - such as this one being asked at least twice in the last couple of weeks.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Carlos Andres Morcillo Tapia

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Carlos,

In addition to Richard's excellent words....

Since I made the comments about version 2.9.0.6 I have already made more fixes as a result of informed testing.  There is now an issue about the carousel colours and a request for Font Awesome 4.4.0.  I've also been asked where the square root symbol is in the equation editor for quiz questions, for which I don't know and have no idea if it is an Essential thing as implied by the person asking or not. So, just when I think it might be stable, then an issue comes in that proves otherwise.  If I release as stable once all current issues are fixed then there might still be more for which you'd be banging at my door to fix as soon as possible, and in this case I don't want that pressure.  As for current issues, I'll get around to them when I can, but to be honest other priorities do exist in my life.

Kind regards,

Gareth

by Loudy MD. -

I'm confused, show we update to 2.9 or not yet sad

In reply to Loudy MD.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The one in the plugins repository is the latest. Use it by all means, but be aware that it is not a stable version.

In reply to Loudy MD.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Khalid,

On a production server = no, for reasons see above and: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=317306 and https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=316631#p1270075.

The current list for a stable M2.9 version currently stands at: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/milestones/Moodle%202.9%20version.

I hope to put out a stable version by the end of September.  But at the moment I have to concentrate on work that makes me a living.

Kind regards,

Gareth