Where to find inexpensive RECENT moodle hosting?

Where to find inexpensive RECENT moodle hosting?

by Ellen Spertus -
Number of replies: 11

I'm looking for inexpensive moodle hosting where installation would be done for me.  I tried Site5 but discovered they're still using moodle 2.0.10, even though it's 3 years old.  Even thought I didn't want to fiddle with upgrades myself, I began doing an upgrade and ran into a problem.  Can anyone recommend a hosting service with a recent version of moodle at a price a teacher can afford out of pocket?  Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ellen Spertus

Re: Where to find inexpensive RECENT moodle hosting?

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Ellen, you can install Moodle without assistance from the hosting provider, and its recommended based on, the moodle provided by script installers is usually the base version, therefore brings on loads of security and stability issues on the table.

you can stay with Site5 and do the manual install of Moodle, else if you not yet comfortable doing that, then look out for hosting providers having Softaculous as their script installer, as they keep their application version updated. Almost most of the web hosting providers offer that.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Ellen Spertus -

Usman,

Thanks for the reply.  Site5 does use Softaculous but still is way behind.

You're right, though, that I could do a manual install.  I did the moodle upgrades (first to 2.2, then to 2.9), which required me to do other upgrades, and I wasn't able to do the database upgrade to Barracuda, lacking SUPER, but it should be okay.

For anyone else looking for moodle hosting who, like me, does not want to have to do updates themselves, check what version of moodle is provided *before* selecting a host.

Ellen

by Usman Asar -

Ellen, if they are using Softaculous, then no doubt there must be other versions available for installation, as Softaculous is third party integration, and is not modifiable in anyway by the hosting providers, all scrips and their updates are done at Softculous's end, therefore once you open moodle script in softaculous, there will be a drop down list listing 4 versions (as I remember softaculous moodle installer).

In reply to Usman Asar

by Andy Chaplin -

Hi Usman

I think Softaculous reacts according to the provided PHP versions among other things.  They were very slow reacting to some Moodle upgrades on Siteground, but that was because Siteground didn't upgrade their PHP versions to Moodle's requirement.  In the past year or so though, they have bee pretty quick.

In reply to Andy Chaplin

by Usman Asar -

It may will be the case Andy, surely I was thinking about possibilities of a customized Softaculous, and it may be the case, not updated PHP scripts, makes Softaculous team pretty smart then to send only compatible scripts.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

It's been awhile, but several years ago I tried TMDHosting.  At that time, they claimed to support Moodle.  My guess is that most low-cost hosting providers will want to charge you for doing upgrades.  But if you do not want to do them yourself, I don't know of any good alternative to paying someone else to do them.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
The Hardware and performance forum https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=596 used to be the place for this topic. There is even an FAQ entry: https://docs.moodle.org/en/Performance_FAQ#What_hosting_provider_do_you_recommend.3F. You might want to search the forum using the Advanced search. How to do that an more appear once you start a new discussion in that forum (and then vanish).

Well, how recent I can not say. This is a moving target: not only the hosting providers change also their advocates.

Unrelated: "Go Daddy! (Where to?)" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=193106
wink

by Andy Chaplin -

Hi Ellen

I've used Siteground for 7 or 8 years and have several installations running.  In that time I've had only two problems (one was caused by me) and both were fixed within minutes of reporting them by their customer service.  I also started out using Moodle as a teacher and paying for it out of my own pocket.  You can check out their deal here.  They use Softaculous although you can do everything by hand if you want.  Currently Softaculous is offering Moodle in 2.8 and 2.9.

I also did a Pecha Kucha presentation on my experiences of using Moodle as a lone teacher which you might find interesting.

All the best

Andy

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you are a teacher you might find the free cloud offering from Moodle.org might be sufficient for your needs - it's limited to 50 users and 200mb of disk space and it's free/upgraded automatically, supported via these forums!

https://moodlecloud.com

by deby williams -

I'm happily using asphostportal.com for about 6 months. They have stable and solid web hosting service, they support windows and linux hosting well. The pricing is reasonable and everything is excellent. Support is active 24 hours and you can reach them easily by using ticket, email or live chat. They have responded to any of my support questions in few minutes and not hours. They support with last moodle version and can setting up to you with one minute installation. Just try them

In reply to deby williams

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
They may be supportng Linux hosting but the ASP in the name was suspicious so I checked.
===
ASPHostPortal.com is Microsoft No #1 Recommended Windows and ASP.NET Spotlight Hosting Partner in United States. Microsoft presents this award to ASPHostPortal.com for ability to support the latest Microsoft and ASP.NET technology, such as: WebMatrix, WebDeploy, Visual Studio 2012, .NET 4.5.1/ASP.NET 4.5, ASP.NET MVC 5.0/4.0, Silverlight 5 and Visual Studio Lightswitch.
===
Make your own judgement!