Force only one column of blocks on course page

Force only one column of blocks on course page

by Sue Holtz -
Number of replies: 4
We are using Moodle 2.8, Essential theme version 8, browsers: Firefox and Chrome

I chose Essential because the description said it was a two column theme, and I like the extra real estate with only two columns. When I open the course page the following blocks are displayed: navigation, administration, search forums, upcoming events, and recent activity. The blocks end up displaying in two columns,  which decreases the real estate available for the course materials. Is there a way to force them to appear in only one column? Or to force them to dock by default? Or to eliminate some?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sue Holtz

Re: Force only one column of blocks on course page

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Sue,

There is no version 8 of Essential, what version do you really have?

Where is the statement that it's a 'two column' theme as far as I am aware it has always been a three column theme.

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Richard Schwarz -

Hi folks,

Gareth is correct (as he should be - he developed the theme) - it doesn't say that it's a two column theme, but it does support two columns. In fact, that's something that we like about it.

If you want to hard code it in as a default, here is a link to the answer in another forum topic. It does work, but you have to change the config file in the theme directory, and you will need to update it again every time your update the theme. Usual warnings about making backups etc exist for any time you play with live site files. I've done this for our site, as we moved over from Elegance, which is a 2 column theme by default, and my staff wanted it to stay that way.

In reply to Richard Schwarz

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks Richard, I must state that Julian Ridden made the theme, then David Bezmer and I took it over.  David then left the theme.  Now I maintain and improve it.

In reply to Sue Holtz

by Sue Holtz -

sorry about that guys. I guess I was thinking of what I read about Elegance. I really like Essential, except for the extra column on the course page.