adding a user AFTER the course has started

adding a user AFTER the course has started

by Lev Abramov -
Number of replies: 4

hi all.

this is not a problem - rather, an attempt to avoid getting into one smile

After I start a course, there's an accumulation of postings at various forums. Everyone subscribed to them (and in my case it is a forced subscription, to make sure everyone gets involved and updated) gets an e-mail copy of the posting the moment it appears.

Suppose I add a user a few days later: does he/she get the whole batch at once the moment I add this user to the course, or does (s)he only start getting e-mail copies of those posting which are posted AFTER he/she has been added to the course roster? Either way it's OK with me - I just want to know. If someone has already done it plz share your experience.

Actually, it just dawned on me that I can create a dummy user with my own e-mail address and add it to the course to see what happens...

L

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lev Abramov

Re: adding a user AFTER the course has started

by Gustav W Delius -

Hi Lev,

you already did the experiment once when you signed up for this course on Moodle.org. You did not receive a few thousand emails with old forum posts immediately biggrin.gif. Moodle does not send out old posts to new users.

In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Lev Abramov -

geee smile

anyway, I tried. no old mail to new users.

OK, now I know what happens to latecomers: they get access to old forums, but they only get new postings via e-mail. Makes sense.

I just expect two or three to wake up a week past the opening date, and am trying to build a catch-up message covering the activities they have missed.

Thanx Gustav!

L

In reply to Lev Abramov

by Ger Tielemans -

Good poit, LEV!

..You could ask some other students to write a summary for the new one?

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Lev Abramov -

Dank je Ger

it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks sad With all my attempts to make my courses more learner-centered, I still try (subconsciously) to stay in control. Your suggestion not only relieves me of this work letting me delegate it, but also turns it into a great revision practice for those who were unfortunate to start on time smile   Maybe it's because I have to deal with teachers (I teach in-service courses) who are not very happy about "getting volunteered" to do more than they minimally have to... Maybe it's just because I am a control freak.

Your pedagogical vision is much better than mine. Thanx muchly for a lesson.

L