Usability that is too clever for its own trousers

Re: Usability that is too clever for its own trousers

by Colin Fraser -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

One of the things I have noticed about design, architecture, art, and so on, apart from Sturgeon's Law, is that good ideas are universal, and great ideas are usually something that one person has thought of, but someone else "borrows" and makes it their own. They don't copy it, but vary it sufficiently to make it distinct. Didn't someone else say that there are no new ideas, just variations on old ones? 

The one thing about anything computerish is that someone has an idea, implements it, then everyone else copies it. Not necessarily because they need that functionality, but because someone thinks it might be a good idea in their own tool set. Doesn't matter if client's think it useful, but as it is included in xyz app, then it should be in my abc app too. So there is a trap there. 

See the posts here... a rather sad indictment of how the real world works, I suggest. Adapt good ideas to suit your need, not because they are good ideas. 

EDIT.... Thinking about this a few more seconds, I seem to recall reading a book on ...erm... Javascript or Java, maybe a programming book, I think it was, oh... years ago, that made a similar kind of point about scripting projects....mmmm. I can't remember the author, Marc or Marcus something like that...thoughtful I do remember an interesting read though, and very helpful at the time.