Migrating a Moodle Site without access to the server files

Migrating a Moodle Site without access to the server files

by Marleila Springer -
Number of replies: 19

Hello all. I'm attempting to move a moodle site from one host server to another. The problem is that the old host does not allow access to server files outside of the moodle site administration. And everything I search tells me to copy over specific server files. How can I do this within the moodle site administration? I DO have access to server files with the new host, just not the current one. Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marleila Springer

Re: Migrating a Moodle Site without access to the server files

by Richard Price -
Hi Marleila,

I would hope that the current hosts are not being so mean. Do you have a way to backup Moodle (ie the database) like using a cpanel, webmin or other interface for your account?

You would at the minimum need the Moodledata folder that the current moodle uses and the database (saved as a file) to be able to completely move it.

However, If there are such restrictions, and they refuse to help, Then do consider setting up a Moodle on the new one and using backup within courses to backup, download and reupload and restore within the New moodle.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If that is really the case (and I find it quite surprising) then the only option you have left is to back up every course individually and restore them in a clean, new site. 

If you have large numbers of course this will be onerous but I can't think of another way. 

by Albert Ramsbottom -

What files do you need? You will almost certainly be able to download the moodle application, moodle-data and database, so I am wondering what other files do you need.

Upload the application files to your new host in the web server root, put the moodle data folder above this and restore the DB

Make the relevant changes in your config file to reflect your DB changes, site URL and Moodle-data dataroot location

and navigate to moodle and Roberts your fathers brother

Or am i missing something here?

What hosting platform are you using? Lamp? Windows?

Albert

In reply to Albert Ramsbottom

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you have NO access to the server, how do you propose downloading the database and the moodledata files?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Albert Ramsbottom -

"host does not allow access to server files outside of the moodle site"

That is not the same as no access to the server smile

And what server files does one need Howard?

by Albert Ramsbottom -

One of two things have happened here.

1. unpaid bills, access completely removed

2. Misunderstanding of what needs to be moved. One should not need access to the server files.  Sometimes its nice to get the Apache.conf file but outside of that its impossible for the hosting company to deny access to the DB and application files.  Just email them if the OP cannot get access to the moodle dataroot - which again is very unlikely.

by Howard Miller -

There is obviously some confusion here. I take 'server files' to mean access to *any* files that live on the server. I didn't take that to mean (what I would call) server configuration files. You also misquoted, it was "the moodle site administration", which makes a bit of a difference I think. 

Anway, it's certainly not impossible as we don't know the circumstances. It may simply be that the OP does not know how to do this but we don't know...

by Marleila Springer -

All,

Thank you for your input. I think my terminology might have been off, so I confused you. But I'm still learning a lot about Moodle, so please bear with me.

The current host does not have a cpanel access AT ALL. But the new host does. And all the tutorials I've been reading talk about copying the moodledata file, and changing the config file. BUT I cannot figure out how to find these files or any other ones WITHIN the Moodle site that we've built (except for File Picker, which appears to be for students/teachers uploading into a repository). 

I've backed up the courses, and tried to restore them. But without the pictures and other settings that are in the moodledata file, it's not migrating right. My question was whether this was even possible to do given my current limitations. Or do I have to submit a helpdesk ticket with the host provider and have them work with the new host's support to do this, instead? (this part is a bit difficult, too, as the current host is in India and a good 24 hours behind the new host, which is US based. So I'd rather do it myself, if that's a possibility.

Thank you so much for all of your input!

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

How did you install Moodle in the first place?  You must have a way to access your files...ftp?  ssh?  I cannot believe that you have no access to edit your website?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Marleila Springer -

I can edit it within the Moodle site itself only. No ftp or cpanel. No file manager.

by Howard Miller -

why not? Somebody has ssh/ftp/sftp/telnet/whatever access to the server, so why not you?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Marleila Springer -

I need to reiterate that I am still a beginner in Moodle. So, if my terminology is off, I'm really sorry. But I do not have access to any files outside of the moodle site that has been created. The host does not allow access to their server except through the moodle site itself. So even if I want to install a moodle site, I have to open a help desk ticket. And the host does moodle upgrades to the site, rather than me being able to do it.

I don't seem to be able to express my problem well enough here, so I guess I'll just give up and submit a help desk ticket to the host. I just thought maybe there was a back up process within the moodle site itself that I could back it up and restore. But I can't seem to figure that out. And the host is way off in their response time so they are not easy to work with.

Thank you anyway everyone for trying...

by Howard Miller -

Ok - we (a Moodle Partner) do not routinely give server access to clients. Not because we don't want to but because they don't need it. They pay us to do all that stuff. If somebody wants a backup of the site (to create a copy or whatever) they they need to open a ticket and we will make the files available for download somewhere. So, yes, sounds like a similar situation.

by Albert Ramsbottom -

Dont give up smile

Open a ticket, ask for the DB, moodle-data and moodle application folders to be sent to you

You will have everything you need to start a new site on a new host, I cant believe that any host would not give ftp or cpanel access

You are right to move that is for sure

Albert

by Howard Miller -

As above - I doubt it's a host in the traditional sense. It'll be somebody offering fully supported Moodle sites for people who don't want to get involved in the "machinery".

by Marleila Springer -

Thanks Albert. I won't give up. Just wanted to bypass the host if I could.

Yes, Howard, I believe that is what the set up is here. This is a friend's site, who I've taken over helping with it. She's extremely frustrated because the host company is on another continent, so time zones are way off. Thus, their response time is seriously delayed.

And they require help desk tickets for every little thing. And they even turn off certain things within her moodle so she cannot do some changes without going through them. I can see a need for this if someone wanted a completely hands off approach. But she's designed this site largely herself, and their extreme control causes more headache than help. That's why I turned her on to a host that allows cpanel access.

Now to just get past the final hurdle of migration...

Thanks all a bunch for your help. I really appreciate it!

Marleila :0)

by Richard Price -

Marleila,

I have just run a back up of a complicated course with pdfs, jpgs and word documents, Linked to and displayed in the course. The full course backup file contains the images and other files so it should work for you in this case if you have a small number of courses and want to get moving quickly if using their helpdesk proves unfulfilling.

- I would suggest asking them for a full backup of your site, Moodle www folder, Moodledata folder and Database. With those three you can follow the instructions on Migration. This way should be less hassle than individual courses if you have many.

Don't give up, all of us who started 'in the deep end' learned much along the way.

In reply to Richard Price

by Marleila Springer -

Thank you for the input, Richard. I have tried a course backup, but not everything is restoring. Maybe I'm doing something wrong in that area.

I will go ahead and submit a ticket. They are just not easy to work with, and take time to respond. But I think it'll be my best option. Then, as you suggest, I can follow the Migration instructions.