Can FREE Moodle themes have links to advertise their Premium product retail outlet?

Can FREE Moodle themes have links to advertise their Premium product retail outlet?

by Mary Evans -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Just found a link in the footer of the Academi theme and wondered if this was allowed?  It's just that some while ago we could not do that in Moodle 1.9 themes.

Just curious what people think?

Cheers

Mary

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Evans

Re: Can FREE Moodle themes have links to advertise their Premium product retail outlet?

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Tricky.  But more serious is looking at the Plugin DB entry on Moodle.org, the website link is to a site which contains the word Moodle in the domain name, which is a trademark infringement.

So, I've not seen anything in the trademark rules that says you can't advertise in a theme as long as there is not the word Moodle used in a generic sense.  I could be mistaken though.

In reply to Mary Evans

Re: Can FREE Moodle themes have links to advertise their Premium product retail outlet?

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

What I do in cases like this is reporting the suspicion to support@moodle.com - it will reach Moodle HQ's people looking after the trademark usage.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)