Error in downloading file in pdf format

Error in downloading file in pdf format

by Iruma Tenji -
Number of replies: 16

Hi,

In dataform, i upload a .pdf file in teacher site.

In doing the testing, i change to student site, and try to download it.

But when i press download, it 'jump out' / redirect to log out page.

i try other extension for example: excel, doc, txt...it works fine and able to download,

just pdf file cannot. How??

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Iruma Tenji

Re: Error in downloading file in pdf format

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Iruma,

Can you post a screenshot from a teacher's perspective after uploading the file and then one from a student's before the student tries to download the file?

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by Iruma Tenji -

Hi Hartmut,

Please refer to the screenshot below for teacher and student perspective respectively as per request
Teacher site

Student site image

In reply to Iruma Tenji

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Iruma,

Thank you for posting the screenshots with the teacher's and student's view. I don't know why students are unable to download (save) a PDF file when they click on the PDF file of a teacher. Can these students see and download other PDF files from other sites (not Moodle) in the same browser? It may be an Internet browser problem, not a Moodle problem.

Here is what I did.

- started a new Dataform activity

- added field file (settings see below)

File setting

- uploaded a PDF file as a teacher

- logged in as student in Mozilla Firefox, clicked on the PDF file and saw the following options (see screenshot):

Student downloading PDF

- I saved the PDF file as a student without any problems.

Can you post a screenshot of a student, clicking on the PDF? What is it that a student will see right after clicking on the PDF file?

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Iruma Tenji -
Hi Hartmut,

After i test, it is dataform module issue. If i use other module to upload and download the pdf file, it does not caused the error.
However if i use dataform module to upload and download pdf file, it will cause the error. That is when i click the uploaded pdf file, it will 'jump out' to log out page
Is there any setting need to set for it?

Thanks
In reply to Iruma Tenji

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Iruma,

a) Which version of Dataform are you using? You can see the version number in Site administration > Plugins > Plugins overview.

b) In your original post you mentioned that the teacher could upload a PDF file, but the student could not download the PDF file. In your last post you wrote that the error occurs when you upload and download the PDF file. Can you please clarify when the error occurs?

c) Can you please post a screenshot of what the student sees right after clicking on the PDF file?

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Iruma Tenji -

Hi Hartmut,

a. I'm using version 2.9 Dataform.

b. correct way should be -> teacher could upload a PDF file, but the student could not download the PDF file.

c. student sees right after clicking on the PDF file:

In reply to Iruma Tenji

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Iruma,

Thank you for your reply and for posting a screenshot. I have no clue why students cannot download a PDF file that a teacher has uploaded. Can you turn Debug on? (Site administration > Development > Debugging; click on Develop....) What is the error message that the student will see when debugging is on?

Can the student use any option after right-clicking on a PDF file? In which browser does it happen?

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Iruma Tenji -

hi Hartmut,

If student right-clicking on the PDF file, and click Save link As....the file became index.php

Is there any caused for it?

In reply to Iruma Tenji

No error in downloading file in pdf format

by Itamar Tzadok -

For downloading a file you need to click on the link, not right-click. Right-click and save as will save the page not the file. hth smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

Re: No error in downloading file in pdf format

by Iruma Tenji -
Hi Itamar,

Ya, i did click on the link, but the problem is when i click it, it pop out to the logout page.
Until now i haven't figure out the error yet.
Is there any way we can check the error?
Is it the code error or the module error?

In reply to Iruma Tenji

by Itamar Tzadok -

Do you have a test site where you can create a test account for us? smile

by Iruma Tenji -

Hi Itamar,

Ya, but can i sent it to you privately?

In reply to Iruma Tenji

by Itamar Tzadok -

Yes, you can send me a private message from my moodle profile or an email (appears in the profile). smile

by Ger Tielemans -

during install I get a datform view pdf warning/error.

If I look in /mod/datform/view/..  there is no pdf subfolder. could that be the problem?

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Itamar Tzadok -

The pdf view type was included in the Dataform 2.3 release but is not included since 2.6. So if you are upgrading from 2.3 you may see a missing plugin warning. There is an initial commit of the view type for 2.6 at https://github.com/itamart/moodle-dataformview_pdf. hth smile

by Iruma Tenji -

Is there a way that we can restrict teachers to edit student content at the same time?

For example, when Teacher A is editing/marking student content, Teacher B are not allow to edit that student content at the same time.

Please help.