Bluehost problem. i would like to install moodle 2.6?

Bluehost problem. i would like to install moodle 2.6?

by yasin yılmaz -
Number of replies: 10

My php version is 5.4.2, i contacted with BlueHost but they said that their system supports maximum 5.4.2

i dont have 5.4.4 now, so i couldn't install moodle 2.9.1

how can i install moodle 2.6? Where is installing links?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to yasin yılmaz

Re: Bluehost problem. i would like to install moodle 2.6?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

https://github.com/moodle/moodle/tree/MOODLE_26_STABLE and either use Git or look for the 'Download Zip' link at the right.

Are you sure it's 5.4.2? Thats's ancient. The latest on the 5.4 branch is 5.4.42. 5.4 ceases support completely in a couple of months. I'd be inclined to take my business to somewhere that can provide 5.5 or 5.6 wink

In reply to yasin yılmaz

by Just H -
Here, but you realise you will be installing a release that is no longer supported and likely to have security issues.
In reply to Just H

Ynt: Re: Bluehost problem. i would like to install moodle 2.6?

by yasin yılmaz -

Thank you for yours informations.

i would like latest version but you see sad

i wish BlueHost was support 5.4.4 php version.

@Howard Miller thank a lot :D may be we can work with next time.

In reply to yasin yılmaz

Re: Ynt: Re: Bluehost problem. i would like to install moodle 2.6?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hmmm, this is interesting.

I have a Bluehost hosted server, and it has php version 5.4.40, and mysql 5.5.42.  Both meet the minimum requirements for the latest version of Moodle.

Then I checked my other Bluehost hosted server, and it has only php 5.2.17, and mysql 5.1.66.

Well, on my second server, if I wanted to, I can use cPanel to upgrade this php to version 5.4 (my guess is that it will be something greater than or equal to 5.4.40.)  I am not sure about upgrading mySQL, however.  I would phone Bluehost about this.  I am not sure if it is built into the php upgrade.

In reply to yasin yılmaz

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Bluehost supports 5.4.4 and higher.  I have worked on a couple of sites hosted by them and the php version has been just fine.  I have them running on Moodle 2.8 without issues.  Are you sure that they didn't tell you 5.4.28 (which is indeed higher than 5.4.4)?

In reply to Emma Richardson

Ynt: Re: Bluehost problem. i would like to install moodle 2.6?

by yasin yılmaz -

Yes Emma Richardson i am sure. i asked to them.

In reply to yasin yılmaz

Re: Ynt: Re: Bluehost problem. i would like to install moodle 2.6?

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
In reply to Emma Richardson

Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Bluehost problem. i would like to install moodle 2.6?

by yasin yılmaz -

they say 5.4.x but they support only 5.4.2. i dont know, may be you and i have been using different hosts.

are you sure about your bluehosting php versin 5.4.4

In reply to yasin yılmaz

Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Bluehost problem. i would like to install moodle 2.6?

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Yasin, I have seen at least 4 people on Moodle forums on BlueHost and using Moodle 2.9.

As I recall, with BlueHost, they have multiple versions of PHP, and you have to mention in htaccess file which version are you going to use.

also, they have their MoJo market place as script installer, you will be able to find Moodle available there as well upto the latest release.

Send an email to technical department telling them that you need to install Moodle and they will assist you for sure.

If for some unfortunate reason they still can't assist and you are still in cooling off period, then get refund (infact BlueHost offers anytime refund pro-rate) and get hosting account with some other hosting provider that suits your needs.

In reply to yasin yılmaz

Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Bluehost problem. i would like to install moodle 2.6?

by Emma Richardson -

I am positive.  I have installed and worked on two separate sites on Blue Host basic hosting package with no issues.  Php is definitely high enough as stated by the screenshot I showed you. 

However, when I first looked at it, I also thought they were stuck on 5.4.2 but it turned out it was 5.4.28 which is higher than 5.4.4 ( I was confused by the .28 thinking that the 2 referenced the version but with PHP I found out that .28 is higher than .4 so it was fine.  The sites I worked on are both running Moodle 2.8 which requires 5.4.4 or higher.