Poodll recorder not appearing

Re: Poodll recorder not appearing

by graham green -
Number of replies: 13

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the quick response....I am using 2015070401

Is there going to be a new update coming soon - ie shall I wait for that?  The reason I ask is that I have a batch of students who will need to use this functionality in 2 weeks time and I'd like to get it sorted prior to then, but I can wait a few days if need be.

thanks

gg

In reply to graham green

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

It definitely should be working, and if there is a problem I will be fixing it asap. 

I will try on a fresh install and see if I can make it break.

Justin

In reply to Justin Hunt

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Justin Hunt -

Adele

This should be fixed in the latest release on July 4th. What version of the PoodLL filter are you using?

In reply to Justin Hunt

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Justin Hunt -

The bug that was referred to in this thread was the 2015070201 (?) version. So I think your issue is different.

I suspect it is related to the security issues of late with Adobe Flash and the decision by Mozilla to block it in Firefox. Chrome will also push you to update. See here: http://www.dailytech.com/Mozilla+and+Facebook+to+Adobe+Its+Time+to+Kill+Flash/article37444.htm

To confirm the source of the problem, please try it with another browser (safari or IE perhaps?) and see if it works.
If that is the problem, update flash to the latest version on your problem browsers. If thats not the issue, please send me a message with the URL of a page where I can see the problem and login details if necessary.

In reply to Justin Hunt

by graham green -

Hi all,

Following from my original post - the SWF recorder is still not appearing.

We are actually running 2 different sites, both running Moodle 2.9.1+ (Build: 20150723) Version 2015051101.03.

They are both running on the same VPS - with the same config.

The site where the recording is NOT appearing is running Poodll filter 

2015070401 2.7.6(Build 2015070401)
The site where the recording IS appearing is running Poodll filter

2015042701 2.7.4(Build 2015042701)
We are being notified on the site where it is appearing that an upgrade is due on the poodll filter but we have chosen not to do it - because it is working.

We have gone through the various configs and they are identical.

My original post is for the site where is NOT working.   I am at the stage of the current course where the students are needing to use the recording facilities next week.

Can i easily downgrade to the earlier filter - just to see if it will work.  If so, what is the process in downgrading?

Thanks

Graham

In reply to graham green

by Justin Hunt -

I don't know a nice way to downgrade to be honest. For myself I would:

i) backup db

ii) move the current poodll filter folder away

iii) put the downgrade version poodll filter in its place

iv) manually change the plugin version in the database (otherwise Moodle will complain)

To view

SELECT * 
FROM  `mdl_config_plugins` 
WHERE name =  'version'
AND plugin =  'filter_poodll'

To update

UPDATE `mdl_config_plugins` 
SET `value`= 'NEWVERSIONHERE'
WHERE name='version'
AND plugin ='filter_poodll';

However I am interested in what the error is, because there must be one. Are there any error logs you can check? Does anything show in your browser console? 

In reply to Justin Hunt

by graham green -

Hi Justin,

I've put the site into Debug mode and turned on error messages to appear on the HTML page but nothing came up.  I also tried to change the various debug levels and even set it to Developer level and purged all caches, but no errors came up on the HTML page (which is surprising as i thought i would get at least some errors).

I am also using the Essential theme but again it is the same theme on the other site - where poodll works.

With that aside, I have just checked the console in Firefox and I am getting the following lines:

GET 

http://www.mydomain.com.au/mod/assign/view.php [HTTP/1.1 200 OK 3422ms]

GET 

http://www.mydomain.com.au/filter/poodll/flash/embed-compressed.js [HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden 292ms]

GET 

http://www.mydomain.com.au/filter/poodll/flash/embed-compressed.js [HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden 292ms]

GET 

http://www.mydomain.com.au/filter/poodll/flash/swfobject_22.js [HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden 294ms]

Any ideas on what this means?

graham

In reply to graham green

by Justin Hunt -

It looks like when you upgraded the PoodLL plugin you inadvertantly changed ownership/permission of the PoodLL folder. The web server is saying it doesn't have permission to return those files with 403 errors.

Look at the other plugins in the filter folder and the ownership/permissions that they have. Then make sure the PoodLL plugin has the same. 

In reply to Justin Hunt

by graham green -

That works now as the recorder is now appearing.....BUT, we are now getting the error:

"an error has occurred and your file has NOT been uploaded"

is this another permissions error, and if so, which folder does it relate to?

Thanks

graham

In reply to graham green

by Justin Hunt -

It is probably related to the previous problem. 

That error will occur if the recorder fails to upload the recording. It is uploaded directly to poodllfilelib.php in the Poodll filter folder. If the permissions/ownership on that file are incorrect, you will get the error described.

In reply to Justin Hunt

by graham green -

Excellent that works now.   Thanks Justin.

I owe you a beer or a bottle of wine....Let us know if you ever venture down under for a Moodle session.

graham

In reply to graham green

by Justin Hunt -

Great, I am glad that worked. 

When I get enough free beers arranged down under, I am on my way.
Make no mistake.

J