Scalability and usability

Scalability and usability

by Robert Walker -
Number of replies: 20

I apologize for aiming in a different direction than this software is supporting.

i am searching for free, (no cost to install or use, no cost to institutions to use) software for education for stand alone computers.

This is for computers in remote locations or where Internet access is not possible. Can Moodle be scaled down to this?

I want to be able to use computers with free software to access information videos with simple tests to measure content assimilation.

If Moodle is not the vehicle and cannot be used can you suggest another?

Thank You,

Robert Walker

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Walker

Re: Scalability and usability

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

This has been done, in v1.9 and I am not sure this has been done since. Unfortunately, it is likely not in a way that will suit everyone. 

First, you build a "Linux on a Stick" that is one flavour of Linux on a 4GB, but no smaller I think, USB stick, for video you will likely need bigger. Then you install Moodle to that stick, complete with everything you need to make it work. Add the materials you want them to have, copy it, send out to users. Make sure you hide stuff so that they cannot access anything that you do not want them to access. 

They put the stick into their machine, they make sure their boot sequence checks the USB ports first, it should work as you need it. They complete the work, the assignments, the videos etc, which you can track using Completion Tracking, saving everything to the USB electronically. They resend it to you in its original packing where their work can be assessed. 

The assumptions are that the users are technically knowledgeable enough to be able to log in using an unfamiliar OS, but not that savvy they can break the security of the OS and Moodle. Informed enough to use Moodle as it should be used, but not that well informed they can crack the database to gain access as an Admin. This may not be easy to do on a server, but on a USB stick, I just do not know. 

If you are looking at just giving materials, and not for feedback, for completed electronic assignments, or you only require hard copies for submitted assignments, you can use a DVD disk, same thing, but they only need insert the disk, reboot, and there it is. They can post their completed work in. Things like login passwords are fixed, nothing can be changed and so on. You can create one generic user and password for them to use.

In either case, this is not a great technical challenge, but it might be a little time consuming to get the package to work exactly as you would like. You have to use Linux, you have to use everything that is Open Source, you cannot use any proprietary software, for obvious reasons. You can put whatever you like on the disk then.    

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Robert Walker -

I appreciate your answer and because it is positive I will go into more detail.

I recently retired as a correctional officer in a prison.

Inmates spend a lot of time in barracks. Often their work cycle is interrupted. They are 'laid in,' with nothing to do but go to meals.

I do not know of a civilized correctional facility which spends less than $20,000 per year on inmates. The recidivism rate is about 42%.

Clearly a safe secure system which can provide life skills information in an inexpensive fashion might change the recidivism rate reducing cost to the public.

Correctional systems are funded by legislatures. The legislature will spend every dime they can on education for the young. They will spend a minimum on prisons. I need free software.

My state sells used computers by the pallet load. Place a bid for the pallet and it is yours. I think I can get computers at a nominal cost.

In prisons there is no connection to the Internet, no blue tooth, no wifi. Vendors will sell systems to correctional facilities offering security and desired features. These systems are generally paid for by the inmates families. 

When I approached the Wardens of my prison about computers in barracks I was surprised that their first objections was the cost of the software. That is why I am searching for free software. I  am reasonably sure that I can obtain a library of free videos to present to inmates. i need a simple system to be sure they actually watched the video instead of playing dominoes. Testing on content presented will do that and reinforce the lesson.

If I find the software and have it working but it is rejected by my prison system I can advertise it to home schoolers who will not use the Internet and to remote locations without Internet.

if Moodle will work for this I can end the search and learn to install it on stand alone computers.

I will appreciate any help I can get on this.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

From the technical standpoint: Yes. Moodle would even run on a Raspberry Pi! See https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=312419#p1256208.

Pedagogically, highly doubtful. Read the original idea of Moodle here https://docs.moodle.org/en/Philosophy. In simple terms, each given his own Moodle is like coffee shop where each customer gets his own (closed) compartment!

On a practical level, how would you distribute those Moodles, how would you asses, give feedback, collect feedback, give them something to keep, ...?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Colin Fraser -

Ordinarily I would agree Visvanath, but Robert did mention "remote locations or where internet access is not possible.." This usually means places like the Outback and Desert regions of Australia where the nearest neighbour may be 100 kilometres away, or communications do not mean a telephone, but a two way radio system, or doing the family grocery shopping means a whole day trip. That is why I am familiar with this proposal, most Australians would consider this a bit of a no-brainer, I am afraid. Although, I am not sure why someone in Arkansas would need this, Robert does not seem to be using the word "remote" as I would understand it.  big grin 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Robert Walker -

I have replied to the other posts. If I find a solution to my principle problem but it is rejected by the administration  I want it as a solution for others needing it. This would be for home schoolers who refuse Internet service or really remote locations.

Cell phones are everywhere. They are used in locations without towers or networks to take pictures. They will also do videos. If a computer operating on solar power can be used to collect videos showing solutions to practical local problems then local independently distributed knowledge would be available.

I feel that Australia and Alaska have educational programs which have solved the remoteness problem. But their solution probably involved the willingness to spend thousand of dollars. I am searching for free software because the budgetary concerns for correctional facilities are different.

In reply to Colin Fraser

Colin

Same here. We agree - ordinarily. In this discussion apparently not. I am trying to find out on what we disagree. It can't be about the solution Robert needs, because we both didn't know the problem, the prison background I mean. If it is about something else, I'd rather stay with the OP.
;-P

by Colin Fraser -

Hi Visvanath, without that little bit of information, it does make a difference, but Offline Moodle is a great idea. I will be talking to Dan Marsden in the next couple of days at MoodleMootAu probably, and find out a little more about this project, likely to be very interesting. 

by Robert Walker -

I posted a reply to the first response outlining my problem in detail. I am highly in favor of using the Internet to help distribution of courses. But sometimes it is impossible due to physical constraints or the philosophy of potential users. Some Home Schooling parents will not connect to the Internet.

But the problem I present to myself is using computers for learning in prison barracks. If I can present a stand alone system with one computer which can present videos to logged on inmates I think it will be useful enough to be adopted.

I envision flat screens with secure keyboards and touch pads. distribution and collection of files could be via a USB by an inmate moving from barracks to barracks. The wardens might elect to have an Intranet system set up within the prison. But trusted inmates are cheap. 

Inmates are a collection of antisocial individuals. In a barracks they form a society which shares methods to come back to prison. Inmates who successfully reintegrate into society after one mistake are not there. The social milieu is one of failure and knowledge of how to beat the system.

Volunteers who will come to prison to help inmates are rare. A system to record their message and to display it widely should help. There are inmates who function as peer counselors in programs designed to help inmates get skills which will reduce further incarceration. They can share this with videos.

Hi Robert

Yes, I read your other posts with details about the project. Here are my two cents on the new setup, please discard my previous answer.

You wrote:
> But the problem I present to myself is using computers for learning in prison barracks. If I can present a stand alone system with one computer which can present videos to logged on inmates I think it will be useful enough to be adopted.

Sure, the computer is immensely useful as a medium for teaching. It is nice that the inmates are allowed to use computers. The remainig big problem is the flow of information, the network, I mean. If I understand right, sneakernet is the only available network. Therefore you are looking for some kind of a "portable Moodle". There were many in the past, I wasn't aware of any usable and actively maintained solution. I hope the new project coming from Catalyst will work out for you.

We are still at the technical end of things. There are two common approaches to "portable" solutions:
1. Provide only the applications in a portable medium. You need hardware and system software which satisfy certain requirements. A well known example is the http://portableapps.com.

2. Provide the applications and system software in a portable medium. You need only certain hardware. http://www.knoppix.org/ is the originator.

I'm sure soon there'll be a new genre. With hardware like this http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-compute-stick,28356.html you can make even the CPU portable, All you need locally are the KVM and (USB) power!

The possibilities are endless. Still you faced with a major problem: How to bridge the missing network which is, in the case of Moodle, also the communication line for interaction - with the teacher and with the peers. If I understood the Catalyst project right, their concept is to build a "Moodle reader", i.e. to take back Moodle to CBT. May be that is what you are looking for. The ordinary Moodle user tends to think in terms of resources and activities (Moodle-speak) like Forum, Assignment, Book, Quiz, Lesson, etc. I am very much interested to know what your local Moodle extpers say. (They read this thread, right?)

> Inmates are a collection of antisocial individuals. In a barracks they form a society which shares methods to come back to prison. Inmates who successfully reintegrate into society after one mistake are not there. The social milieu is one of failure and knowledge of how to beat the system.

That is a bitter world. Ironically, the philosophy of Moodle which I mentioned earlier is based on the complete opposite social behaviour. Are you sure that food from this world will nourish the other?

My question is fundamental though: If a central (client-server) architecture is not wished and interaction is prohibited, why you start with Moodle, which is build on those two, and try to dismantle those very two towers? Why don't you start from basics? The most basic thing we all know is the distance education before the Internet era. You got a thick envelope with everything for the coming month. Once that is done, there was the next. Replace the envelope a USB memory stick, ... you get the idea?

Sorry, it sounds like I am answering this in the OP:
> If Moodle is not the vehicle and cannot be used can you suggest another?

But that happens to all of us. The vehicle we have, whether Moodle or Meditation, is the right one for anybody's journey!

by Robert Walker -

The portable aps method may be part of the solution I present. My local University maintains computers with full Internet Access for students. Each semester they reformat the hard drives replacing anything the students have loaded. I will propose something like this on a monthly basis. I will have to find a keylogging program. I will suggest a sneakernet email program to give inmates a reason to not destroy the computer.

I will not bring up the concept of inmates using computers. It will not fly. There are programs in the central prisons which do use computers but I am not conversant with them. I worked at mine. 

I want to present the ability to have a library of video presentations. I will also suggest the sneakernet email system which can be meshed with the present one of email at the library costing fifty cents each.  There will be no email between barracks. Although it occurs communication between barracks is forbidden.  I can also see a library of e books being available because storage is so cheap. These suggestions will be a means to protect the equipment. Things break easily in a prison. If a core group of inmates value a device it is much more likely to keep working.

The computer on a stick is fascinating. But I will not even suggest it. There will be no wifi or bluetooth unless it will be easier to transfer the videos to the hard drive and collect the email. If I suggest used state equipment I will have to demonstrate that all wifi and bluetooth is disabled probably mechanically.

The thick envelope on a monthly basis is now more expensive than what I will propose. It is also limited to literate individuals who can assimilate through the printed medium.  The USB stick is how I will propose to to move data. I will have to learn how far a USB cord can be from the computer. The computer will have to be stored away from inmates just to avoid having a place to hide contraband.

If someone wants to make videos on Meditation as part of a lifestyle I will be glad to include it in the video library. I know an 'Alternatives to Violence' program which is put on by volunteers. I could record this. The volunteers can go to a prison about three time a year. A video can be available every day. 

I will not present endless possibilities to a prison administration. They fought the right to wear a beard all the way to the Supreme Court. Beards can be used to hide contraband. Beards can be immediately shaved after an escape to change appearance. Maybe the Supreme Court made the wrong decision.

I was surprised that the voiced opposition to using computers in barracks was the cost of the software. If I can show that Moodle can be used as software that objection can be silenced. Video visitation was recently approved reluctantly. Physical visitation is encouraged as much as possible fitting into the work schedule. The video visitation will be provided by a vendor with a kiosk. The cost will be borne by the family. I would be glad to undercut that business with something cheaper for inmates but it is not my focus. 

I can see a flat screen in a barracks with earphone jacks. A keyboard of some kind with a touch pad for input would be available.  Inmates would watch video presentations and provide responses via the keyboard and touchpad.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Whatever happened to this - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Moodle ??

Other than that I have not heard of anything. I do get approached every so often with similar sounding projects but, to date, the complexity (=cost) of such a project has made it go away again. 

The other parallel to this that you might want to research is teaching in China (behind the "Great Firewall of China"). Lots of people are investigating remote Moodle instances and various levels of data synchronisation. I don't know of any huge successes though.

In reply to Howard Miller

by Robert Walker -

Since I can present a no cost educational software solution to the administration we can discuss interfacing with in place systems.  Inmates can always file grievances. They must be alerted to court dates, parole eligibility dates et cetera. There is an in place system for keeping inmate funds electronically so they can make personal purchases and pay for telephone service.  None of this is barracks accessible. The system functions with a daily printout of the barracks census and lay ins from work. 

by Colin Fraser -

If there is a server available for an intranet, then you can teach all kinds of things using Moodle without having to purchase anything at all, it can go straight onto the intranet. My State has had a lot of success in "re-educating" inmates, but how that translates in "re-socializing" and recidivism rates is still anyone's guess, no one is saying yet. 

Be careful with the words "no cost" though. Moodle costs nothing to buy, or license, but it costs to install, to maintain, to create resources, unless someone is doing that voluntarily. Having looked after a couple of Moodles for not for profits, voluntarily, it took me quite a while to get to the point where my input is now minimal, to train someone employed to take over the work, to where a phone call is now unusual, but not yet rare. That was exciting for me, but somewhat exhausting too, so be careful your good intentions don't take over your life, you still need time to enjoy your retirement.   cool

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Robert Walker -

There is no intranet where I propose learning to occur, in the barracks. That is where I worked.

I thought about contacting the other states. That would be fifty states. With feedback and call backs even that project would overwhelm me. I am going to contact my state education department. They support home schooling. I suspect they purchase software for this. There is about $5,000 per student per year available to be used so vendors have probably flocked to fill the need and their pockets. But the  technology experts at the education department know more than I, if there are any.

Prisons are peculiar places. All prisoners are required to work, which they do voluntarily. There is no pay so there is no cost in the budget. The perks are the incentives people find attractive about jobs. There is the ability to move about, to do things which help others, jobs requiring thinking and skill. I think I can get support from the kitchen staff by offering food safety training, from the field crew by showing videos on mower safety etc. Prisoners work as volunteer peer counselors. I am sure a video recording crew can be recruited producing copyright free material. 

So I can expect to get prisoners to do the maintenance, the installations, and the resource creation. I will have to demonstrate the security of the system, and find a keylogging program. 

I have a six month window where I cannot be employed by the state. Then I could quickly ask for compensation just as any other vendor does. This is only one of the many projects which interests me. 

Poodle seems to be a solution I can try. http://www.maflt.org/products/poodle

I am going to look for a used desktop computer on Craigslist for experimentation purposes. I would appreciate any help along the way. But as you say, retirement comes first.

by Colin Fraser -

Hi Robert, i just spoke with Dan Marsden from Catalyst in NZ who has been working on developing a Moodle for the local prison system. Their requirements are similar to yours so it is not too difficult a fit i think. Dan suggests that they are going live with it in a couple of weeks but GPL documentation might be another 6 months or so. Then it will be available as Open Source which may fit too. The thing is,what you want can be done. So you have a workable project if you go forward with it. Good luck and best wishes.

by Just H -

Could be worth keeping an eye on the work Dan Marsden and Catalyst are doing re offline-moodle. See here and here.

In reply to Just H

by Robert Walker -

Thank You. I have put these links in my principal source document.

I think I can discuss moodle with the subject ,matter experts locally now. I can assert to the Wardens that Free software is available and not a cost issue. I can find a desktop and try to install it. I can produce a few sample videos to use in a library. I am sure there are modules for testing and security measures. I do not need a bulletproof security system but one where detection of tampering events is certain. End User agreements have real teeth and enforcement possibilities in prison. 

by Michael Roberts -

Hi Robert,

We've got a portable version of moodle for Moodle 2.7. At the present moment it is PC only, however we've almost cracked the mac version, we just have a bit more testing to do.

The PC version runs entirely off a USB stick, launches server, database and Moodle on a single exe, no install required, no admin access requied, will run off any PC you can plug a USB into. It has been designed to work in bhutan, to be used by students with very little or no internet.

So what you're asking is possible,

If you are interested in finding out more, You can contact me with direct queries on mrober27@une.edu.au.

Cheers,

Michael

In reply to Michael Roberts

by Michael Roberts -

I should expand a bit more on this. The system we're developing is call spoodle (Shared Portable Moodle)

The bit we have working, has been developed for students in remote areas. Initially it was an exploration to see if we could developed an alternative to student's downloading all relevant pdfs and working remotely. We wanted to see if we could provide scaffolding learning, and the advantages of online learning to students in remote areas. A DVD was the first suggestion, but we wanted to see if we could give students a similar experience to online learning, as student who could access Moodle online. 

Now, besides getting it to work, the other issues were how to provide students with the interaction they would get from other students, and enable the students to submit assignments. We debated various solutions included going old-school. IRC networks used to be big in the 1990, they enabled fast communication across the glob using very slow internet connects (when 56kb/s was the standard top speed). IRC networks still exist, but they are not secure, and you can't restrict students to just the channels you want them to use. In the end we dropped that as a possibility, we instead decided to drop the forums as an activity, although we debated keeping a few active so that students and teachers could reply to each other as the USB moves from one person to the next. 

I will explain this a bit more, if spoodle is install on a single USB stick, and the stick is provided to a student, the student can then write their questions as they come up in a Forum type environment, the student may end up answering the questions themselves as they work through the material, but at some point, the student could then pass the USB stick back to the teacher (e.g. intensive school), the teacher logs in, reads the forums, responds to any queries, accesses any assignment to retrieve submitted assignments. The teacher then marks any assignments, returns grades and comments (into spoodle) and then gives the USB back to the student to continue working.

In a prison system as Robert discusses,  you could get each inmate a username and password for the spoodle. Students do their work for the week/day and post any comments to the forum, submit any assignments. The USB would then be passed onto the next inmate who would do their work for the day/week, add/reply to any comments in the forum, post any assignments, and then when finished they would pass the USB onto the trusted inmate who would then pass the USB down the line to the next inmate and so on. Forums are sort of possible using a portable Moodle, but they are limited in the timeframe between the post and reply based on who happens to be holding the USB stick.

Assignments are a little tricky, you want the time between submission and feedback to be as short as possible. For a student in a remote it is not viable to post the USB to the student, and have the student post it back whenever they submit the assignment because it would mean sending their lessons away also, so they would be unable to study while waiting for their assignment (spoodle) to return. A prison system would be faster. Theoretically, and we haven't tested this, but you should be able to take the portable Moodle outside of the prison walls, plug it into a computer with internet access and then the teacher should be able to remotely access the portable Moodle from wherever they are in the world and respond to posts and download assignment to mark. We are fairly sure that this should work. Once the teacher has accessed the posts and assignment, then the USB could be unplugged, taken back into the prison and the cycle could begin again.

What we have been able to achieve, which indicates some promise, we can plug the usb containing spoodle into a computer and access it remotely from elsewhere on the intranet, we have also been able to convert a computer's wifi into a hotspot, plug in our portable Moodle, and accessed the spoodle (which is still on the USB stick) from mobile devices accessing the hotspot. During these tests, we wanted to see if spoodle could be used as a Moodle for classroom in remote areas (where the entire class had no access to the internet), so during the test, we also disconnect the computer from the internet, so that student only had access to our hotspot, and our version of Moodle. The only drawback we had was cause by android devices which wouldn't connect to ad hoc networks, so only ipads and iphones connected to our portable Moodle. Cheaper android devices would have been our preferred outcome. However, the functionality of accessing spoodle over intranet and wifi hotspot means that we've happy to say that it is a shared portable environment (hence the name spoodle) 

Now since looking into portable Moodle and it's possibilities we've established that it would benefit student's in remote areas, classes in remote areas, student that cannot attend classes because of cultural reasons (learning centres in opposing clan territories, women in certain countries, etc), inmates and navy/army/airforce personal on deployment.

The uses are wide, but we've hit the limit of what we can achieve on zero funding. It will take some funding to get the Mac version off the ground, and to enable wifi access to spoodle using android devices. 

But it does achieve what we set out to achieve in the first place.

Regards,
Michael 

In reply to Michael Roberts

by Colin Fraser -

Sounds good so far Robert, congratulations.  Have you considered crowd-funding? I have no idea how to go about developing that, but someone would. Also, while the general thrust so far has been cheap to no cost for the user, there would be an number of both Government and non-Government organizations that could use something like this. If you could get someone to pay for something, additional support, personalized training etc, then it is possible a revenue stream could be developed to support the not-for-profit nature of the work you are doing. Good luck!