Moodle 1.5.2 with PHP 5.05

Moodle 1.5.2 with PHP 5.05

by Gordon Cressman -
Number of replies: 6
I have a verified functional version of PHP 5.05 installed on Windows XP, IIS 5.1. I have the following settings in php.ini:

memory_limit = 16M
extension=php_gd2.dll
extension=php_mysql.dll
extension=php_pdf.dll
extension=php_zip.dll

I have restarted the IIS service.

Moodle Install (http://localhost/moodle/install.php) continues to report the following:

GD version

Caution

The GD library should be present to process and create images

Memory Limit

Caution

The PHP memory limit is set quite low ... you may run into problems later.

Proceeding to the database configuration step, Moodle Install reports the following:

PHP has not been properly configured with the MySQL extension so that it can communicate with MySQL. Please check your php.ini file or recompile PHP.

I have verified the functionality of MySQL, created a blank moodle database, and provided user credentials for that database.

Moodle 1.5.2 requirements state that PHP 5 is supported as of Moodle 1.4. What is the problem?

Any help appreciated: thanks.

-gmc
Gordon M. Cressman
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gordon Cressman

Re: Moodle 1.5.2 with PHP 5.05

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Just something to check - for those .dll's did you *both* uncomment them in php.ini *and* copy the .dll from the extensions folder to somewhere on the path (I used c:\winnt\system32 myself)?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Gordon Cressman -
Thanks for the quick reply. Those dlls unpack in the \PHP\ext directory. On my system this is C:\PHP\ext. The path is in my PATH environment variable. I have now copied php_gd2.dll and php_mysql.dll to C:\Windows\System32. This did not resolve the problem.

-gmc
Gordon Cressman

by Janne Mikkonen -
Never, ever copy any dll's from your php install directory to %systemroot%\system32

Just copy php.ini to %systemroot% create a php script in your wwwroot (for example info.php) and add lines:

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

visit this page and you should see information of all loaded extensions.
In reply to Janne Mikkonen

by Gordon Cressman -
I learned several things. First, never copy dll's from the php install directory to %systemroot%\system32. Second, the proper location for php.ini is %systemroot%. Third, phpinfo() tells me what I needed to know. Finally, Janne knows a lot more than I do and is kind enough to share it with a newbe.

Everything is working well now. Many thanks to Janne and others who replied. Maybe I can help the next person with similar problems on this platform.

Cheers,

-gmc
Gordon Cressman

by Janne Mikkonen -
shy Actually, I read the manual big grin . But that's how it goes. You tell a friend, they tell their friends and so on...

by Zoran Radakovic -

I am having the same problem with install.php on localhost in Win XP, IIS, PHP 5.05, MySQL 4.*. I followed your settings from previous posts, although much of them were already identical. Still no success sad

After I start the install.php I manage to get to the window

'please confirm the locations of this Moddle installation', where it suggests:

Web address  http://localhost/moodle

Moodle Directory  c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\moodledata

Data Directory  c:\Inetpub\wwwroot/moodledata

The only thing that I change is the Data Directory to  f:\moodledata, since that is where I created the data folder and gave it web sharing read and write permissions. After clicking next I have to wait a minute or two and receive a blank page.

When checking my settings, install.php tells me:

version PASS

Session Auto Start PASS

Magic Qoutes Run Time PASS

Safe Mode PASS

File Uploads PASS

GD version PASS

Memory Limit PASS

I've tried changing many settings, folders, ..., created my own config.php from the config-dist.php, but still no success.

Would you be kind to send me your config.php, perhaps I can manage something from there mixed