New block creation problem on front page in Moodle 2.9

New block creation problem on front page in Moodle 2.9

by simon dallas -
Number of replies: 5

We have a problem whereby an administrator (with editing on) is unable to create a block on the front page of our recently upgraded 2.9 Moodle installation.

The 'Add a Block' with its drop down menu appears but when a block type is selected/highlighted, nothing happens. Block creation from any other area of the site works as expected.

Can anyone shed any light on what the underlying cause could be?

Thanks!

Simon

Average of ratings: -
In reply to simon dallas

Re: New block creation problem on front page in Moodle 2.9

by simon dallas -

The above should have included...

Our Moodle is running on a virtual machine with:

Windows Server 2012 Standard Version 6.2.9200 - 64bit Dual Core x64-based processor with 4GB RAM

IIS Version 8.0.9200.16384)

Moodle 2.9+

MySQL Community Server(GPL) Ver 5.6.11 Win64(x86_64)

PHP 5.6.0

In reply to simon dallas

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Simon. I suspect you  are being hit by this bug MDL-50446 Hopefully when it is fixed you can upgrade again and it will work fine. In the meantime, look at your main menu block and see if you have any URLs/Pages that open in a new window. You should still be able to edit them so make them "automatic" instead of new window or pop up -that might fix it. If not, or if I have misread your problem , please post back.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by simon dallas -

Hi Mary,

Many thanks for your post regarding our Blocks issue. I believe you have it nailed; sadly we can't find a workaround to place new Blocks on our Front Page so we are just sitting and waiting for the next release that you suggest will fix the problem. I am guessing it is a Windows related issue (?) as I am pretty sure the Moodle community would be up in arms if such a key function were to be broken 'across the board'!

Anyway, thanks for your input  smile

In reply to simon dallas

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

It's not a Windows related issue as it applies to all OS afaik.  You certainly should be able to fix it in the meantime however with the workaround I suggested. Turn on the editing on your front page and click to edit the items in your main menu block. Ensure that in appearance they are set to open "automatically" and not in a pop up or new window. That ought then to enable you to edit the front page and add blocks. If it doesn't then you may have a different problem.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by simon dallas -

Thank you Mary - now that I re-read and carried out your instructions carefully the block creation problem is now solved. I am hugely grateful so thank you again!