Basic settings missing

Basic settings missing

by Andrew Friedemann -
Number of replies: 5

I am brand new to Moodle, and am setting up for the first time using Moodle 2.9 (Build: 20150511)

When I first installed it there was a long page of basic settings which I did some of and thought I would come back to, but now I do not seem to be able to find how to get to it. 

Any help pointing me in the right direction will be appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Friedemann

Re: Basic settings missing

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There are two pages you have to complete during installation. The first is the administrator's profile which (assuming you are logged in as administrator) can be be found by clicking your name at the top right and selecting profile. 

The second is the main site settings. You get to that at Site administration > Front page > Front page settings. 

If you don't mean these, you'll need to be more specific about what you want to change.

In reply to Howard Miller

by Andrew Friedemann -

Hi Howard - Thank you for replying. I have found the Admin Profile, which was automatically labeled Admin User, and I changed to my name, and I have found the Front Page Settings. But there was a page which allowed me to upload the sites logo, set database defaults etc. It was a very long list of options. That is the one I cannot find anymore.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I think something strange happened during installation and you saw a complete list of config settings - which you shouldn't. 

You'll need to dig through the settings under Site administration to find what you want. The logo for example is controlled through the theme (depends too on the theme selected). Have you noticed the 'search' option at the bottom of the Admin block?

Don't change things for the fun of it... leave them at default unless you have a specific reason!

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

You should see an administration block when you are logged in as administrator.  You should see "Site Administration."  Click on the little arrow to the left of this word.  It opens up all of your moodle settings.

Is this what you are looking for, or have you already seen this?

The logo could be within the Appearance sub-menu item, but there are also other places where you can define a logo.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Andrew Friedemann -

Thank you all - I see what is happening now. 

When I first installed it it had a long list of setting all in one page, but now that it is installed, it shows me these same settings under a lot of smaller headings in Site Administration.

Bit embarrassed I do not see this myself.

Thanks again