Multiple questions in Calculated question quiz

Multiple questions in Calculated question quiz

by Martin Gough -
Number of replies: 1

I really hope that I've not missed something obvious...

I want to set up a quiz with a simple {x} * {y} = type questions.  The thing is I want the quiz to contain 20 questions of that exact same type but can't see a way to do that when I set up the quiz.  Do I really have to go through the quiz and add each question separately defining the equation, limits and tolerances  each time?

I my case I simply want the user to be presented with 20 questions asking then to answer a simple multiplication of two numbers between a set range.

I am using version 2.9 by the way

If I'm being totally dumb please accept my most sincere apologies.

Martin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Gough

Re: Multiple questions in Calculated question quiz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This is not currently possible.

Obviously, it would be sensible if it was possible. (I'm not sure if there is already an open feature request for this in the Moodle Tracker. There probably is, but if you search and really cannot find it, please feel feel free to create a feature request.)

There is reason why this is not possible: In the old days (before Moodle 2.1) it would have been completely impossible to implement because of several parts of how Moodle stored the data about which questions were in the quiz, and each student's quiz attempts. Gradually, over the years, I have been changing things to remove those problems with the database schema. (Significant changes in 2.1, 2.8, 2.9 and possibly other releases.) We may now finally be at the point where all the impediments have been removed, and it would be possible to implement this feature request without a huge amount of work.

I still have a user-interface / usability worry. Obviously it is sensible to allow the same calculated (or STACK, formulas, variablenumeric) question to be added multiple times, but not so sensible to allow the same non-calculated question to be added (though there still cases where you would want to, e.g. you might want many copies of an essay "Why did you give that answer to the previous question?"). So, how to make it possible for calculated questions, without making it too easy for teachers to accidentally make the mistake of adding the same non-randomised question when that is not what they wanted?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)