Why can't I see entire discussion when downloading forum logs?

Why can't I see entire discussion when downloading forum logs?

by Jumiah Johnston -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

I need to be able to download discussion forums in a spreadsheet that also shows the actual comments.

I go to the forum, navigate to forum administration, and then click logs. I select the forum and retrieve those logs, then at the bottom I select download. I've tried html, plain text, it doesn't matter, the spreadsheet only gives me weird html tags (which I suspect link to the actual discussions).

Is there a way I can download these logs with the actual text of the discussions included?

I'm using Moodle 2.7.

Thank you,

Jumiah

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jumiah Johnston

Re: Why can't I see entire discussion when downloading forum logs?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Jumiah,

As far as I know, it is not intended for forum logs to include discussion texts. However, you could obtain a copy of discussions by enabling Portfolios and then exporting the forum posts to portfolio. Another way would be to create an Activity backup including user data, though the backup file would require manipulation to end up with the data on a spreadsheet.

In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Why can't I see entire discussion when downloading forum logs?

by Jumiah Johnston -
Thank you for your reply, Helen. I found exporting conversations or creating activity backups is just as tedious as my manual process of simply copy and paste. Since I don't have many teachers I think I'll just go that route and manually create my spreadsheet reports.

This helped me learn about the export feature which I like, thank you.

Jumiah