improvisation of scorm files performance, reducing the loading time.

improvisation of scorm files performance, reducing the loading time.

by Poovaiah CK -
Number of replies: 4

I would like to improve the performance of the scorm file when users try to open it.

Like, less buffering time.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Poovaiah CK

Re: improvisation of scorm files performance, reducing the loading time.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Moving to SCORM forum... although I expect you'll need to improve your question to get a sensible answer wink

In reply to Howard Miller

by Poovaiah CK -

I would like to reduce the time taken by the scorm file to open in the browser.

In reply to Poovaiah CK

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

It is my understanding that there are a couple factors in how long it take to load up a scorm.  Of course, some of it has to do with how the server stuff is set up and the amount of memory the computer opening it has but the biggest factor is the size of the scorm. 

I have scorms that are small (less than 10 MB) and some that are very large (more than 300 mb).  The large ones take a longer time to load than the small ones.  SCORMs with video and audio take longer to load.  There are things you can do in some authoring tools to minimize this (in Captivate you can select the amount of the project loads before view) but it all comes down to the size of your package and the capacity of your computer.  

You could try breaking big modules into smaller parts. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Poovaiah CK

by James Roberts -
I have two (related) questions to this topic. I'd welcome any ideas from anyone who may have ideas. (Note to Melanie: My zipped Scorm packages are much smaller than yours; mine are typically around 200MB. Yet, they take about 20-30 seconds to launch. That seems long to me.) 

First, is there a way in Moodle to show the progress of a Scorm load? (eg. Turn the cursor to hourglass/waiting to indicate that the Scorm package is loading and the package will open soon.)

Second, I create my own Scorm packages using HTML5 and Javascript. In general, webcoders suggest having fewer Javascript files because each file requires contact with the server and this can slow down webpage loadtimes. Is this also the case with Moodle? Does it matter if I have one single Javascript file or several?