Antelope to barracuda on WIndows

Re: Antelope to barracuda on WIndows

by Usman Asar -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Nick, was moodle slow from start or is it you just started experiencing this?

Also, VM will degrade performance, but you can always try working on Database optimization, and see if this brings any changes.
Assuming you are running either of MySQL or MariaDB, you can read further about DB optimization using this link, also MySQL tuning on THIS link.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Wendi Daniels -

Does anyone who is good at communicating know HOW to "run a command line"? Where do I find my "workbench"? I tried to upgrade from 2.8 to 3, and saw all the changes, so I tried to scale back to 2.9, and it is too late. Please advise. I WILL NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SAYING IF YOU USE LINGO THAT IS UNDERSTOOD TO TECHY PEOPLE. I need common terms and step-by-step instructions.

Howard, you often like to respond with rudeness and smart alec words, and I would rather you keep all of your amazing knowledge to yourself rather than treat me with rudeness.

In reply to Wendi Daniels

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
"who is good at communicating"? Sure there are kind souls, angels and fairies - in their respective domains. The hardned IT crowd in the virtual world worship Murpy, the creator of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy%27s_law, and the survivors are usually old, male cynics.

> HOW to "run a command line"? Where do I find my "workbench"?

That kind of interactions require some intensive communication. I am not sure whether you'll enjoy that.

> I WILL NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SAYING IF YOU USE LINGO THAT IS UNDERSTOOD TO TECHY PEOPLE.

Oh yes, there's ample proof.

> Howard, you often like to respond with rudeness and smart alec words, and I would rather you keep all of your amazing knowledge to yourself rather than treat me with rudeness.

Well, if you master ESP, we all can try hard to communicate in silence.
;-D

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You are asking for free help.  Starting with insults does not help.

If your upgrade has not gone well, you need to restore the whole site from a backup.  Not knowing anything about your server setup or whether are hosted or not gives us absolutely nothing to go on.  Despite your tone, I am sure many of us would be happy to help but we need a lot more information.

If your site is hosted somewhere, you need to talk to them.  

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Bret Miller -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Here's an attempt at answering those questions:

"Command line" is equivalent to "Command Prompt (Admin)" when you right click the Windows button. Or on previous versions of Windows, Right click "Command Prompt" and "Run as adminsitrator". To run Moodle command line options, you'll need to be in your Moodle site directory (where the .php files are).

"Workbench" is a graphical program provided by MySQL to administer MySQL from Windows. You can download it from their website.

Please understand that the help here is free and no one is paid to answer your questions. We tend to assume that if you're running your own Moodle server that you have some basic knowledge of running a server, web server, database and php. Simply stating the fact that you don't have that knowledge and asking for some more detailed help is the best way of getting it.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Bret Miller

HOW to "run a command line"? Where do I find my "workbench"? Botched the (2.8 > 3) upgrade. it is too late. Please advise.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Bret

I thought the "command line" will show up once the "line of command" is established.
smile

How do you know that OP (in fact https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=315719#p1322030 just hijacked the thread. The content had no relation to the subject.) uses Windows?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: HOW to "run a command line"? Where do I find my "workbench"? Botched the (2.8 > 3) upgrade. it is too late. Please advise.

by Bret Miller -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Yes, well, Nick and Wendi both should learn not to resurrect old threads. Much better to post your question in your own thread with a subject that describes your problem and as much detail as you can muster so we have a chance to figure out what might be going on.

Resurrecting old threads and being critical makes us who try to help a little grumpy.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Wendi, could you let us know where you are in your steps?  It sounds like you upgraded from Moodle 2.8 to 3.0, then tried downgrading to 2.9.  You can't downgrade moodle, it doesn't work that way.

Is anything working right now?

Do you have backups of anything?

If your upgrade to Moodle3 was successful, you might need to reinstall Moodle3.

How have you been upgrading and downgrading?  We need to know exactly what steps you did so that we can help.

I most commonly run "the command line" by using an application, like "Terminal" on my Mac.  PC users might use applications like "Putty."  But to run the command line applications, you would also need to know how to SSH into your server.  Do you?

There are other ways to issue commands to your moodle, such as using applications like Workbench.  But most of us who do these things (I don't want to speak for everyone, sorry) probably use a terminal program like Terminal or Putty, and we know how something about SSH.  If your answer is "no" to SSH, this will tell us some good information.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Wendi Daniels -

I figured it out with the help of another friend, and other threads on Moodle.

For those who are at my level of understanding of this sort of thing.....

The command line is something to be run in SSH (you can download a program called "Putty" for free on the net)

I logged in with my webhosting credentials as "root" user

I entered the following command:  cd  my/moodle/site/directory      and pressed enter

Now in that directory, I entered the "cli" command:  php admin/cli/MySQL_compressed_rows.php and pressed enter, and the site was mostly upgraded to Barracuda.

I then entered the cli command: php admin/cli/MySQL_compressed_rows.php -l to get a list of the lines that needed to be fixed.

I then entered the cli command php admin/cli/MySQL_compressed_rows.php -f to fix those lines, but the system said I must enter them manually in the database.

I entered WHM and from there I went to phpMyAdmin, so that I could be logged in to phpMyAdmin as the root user (often, it seems the userid is simply "root", and you set your password in cpanel). If you log into phpMyAdmin from the cpanel, it is apparently not the same, as you must have "super privileges" which means you need to be logged in as the root user, which means you access phpMyAdmin from WHM. Enough said. I clicked on my root database on the sidebar. On the horizontal menu bar I clicked on MySQL, and I entered those lines that needed to be entered manually, clicked "go" and all is well.

Thanks for all the help. The right click thing did not work, and I was unclear on the instructions, so maybe it was not something workable from my computer. In any case, I am grateful for all who helped me without giving me rudeness and smart-alec remarks. I tip my hat to you.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Ahmad Nasuha -

I have use ssh terminal and notified that,, :

Zend OPcache requires Zend Engine API Version 220131226

The Zend Engine API version 220121212 which is isntalled, is outdated.

Cannot change GLOBAL innodb_file_format setting, use --showsql option and execute the statements manualli.!!! Error writing to database !!!

This is screenshoot

thank's