Memcached!

Memcached!

by Albert Ramsbottom -
Number of replies: 4

Hi we are exploring the reality of installing Memcached to work with a Windows, IIS, MSQL cluster! surprise

We have two web nodes with a third management node that also has the moodle application for resilience. 

My questions is

1. Do we need a separate server for Memcached?

2. Could we install it on the managment server?

3. Or should it be installed on each web node?

4. How does on then set up MUC?clown

Thanks

PS should be in Performance & Hardware forum

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Albert Ramsbottom

Re: Memcached!

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It should.... moving. Can't help you with Windeez though.

In reply to Howard Miller

by Albert Ramsbottom -

Well it isnt really a windy issue juts a general set of questions.  So in a Linux environment could someone answer any of these questions

Cheers

In reply to Albert Ramsbottom

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You need a minimum of ONE installation of memcached that can be accessed by all the front-ends. The cached information is shared, so this is important. You can put it anywhere you like (that meets the requirement of being accessible to all front-ends).

I would say that for Moodle there is no requirement for multiple servers. It doesn't load-balance or provide failover anyway.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Albert Ramsbottom -

Thanks Howard

We do have a management server that would be accessible from both front-ends.  Just not really sure whether I should put memcached on it as this server does other tasks such as cron and acting as a 3rd web node if we have problems with the cluster

I suppose if I installed Memcached on this server I would have to make both webs access it, along with having itself access its self!

This is looking less likely to be worth it and more likely that I would need a dedicated VM

Cheers