Web Hosting for MS Access & MySQL Databases

Web Hosting for MS Access & MySQL Databases

by Richard Murphy -
Number of replies: 4

I have a site built that uses a MS Access database, but I also want to host a Moodle site. Therefore, I need an ISP that can provide both MS Access and MySQL database support. iPowerWeb offers a Windows Server 2003 package that includes MySQL and ODBC support for Access Databases http://www.ipowerweb.com/products/windowshosting/index.html. Can anyone give me advice on whether this is a workable solution? I will be paying for 2 yrs up front, so I need to be sure not to make mistakes! Thanks, RM

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Murphy

Addendum: Server Specs

by Richard Murphy -

Oh, here are the specs for the server. Will the MySQL and PHP support facilitate the use of Moodle? Thanks, RM

This new package comes complete with the
following supported options:

· 1000MB Storage
· 500 Email POP3 Accounts
· 30GB Transfer
· 500 Email Forwarding Accounts
· WebMail (IIS)
· Email Aliases
· CGI-BIN
· Active Server Pages (ASP) Support
· Active Server Pages .Net Support
· ASPSmartMail 2.7
· JMail 4.4
· ASPSmartUpload 3.3
· FrontPage Support
· MySQL Support 4.0.23
· PHP support 4.3.10
· Perl Supported 5.8.4
· ODBC Support for Access Databases
· URL Redirect
· Account Control Panel
· FTP Access
· Web Stats
· Raw Logs
· Customer Error Pages
· MIME Types
· SSL Secure Server
· 2 shopping carts (Comersus & OsCommerce)
· Bulletin Board

Re: Addendum: Server Specs

by Andrew James Smit -
Depending on how much work you have done on your site, you might want to look at the longterm sustainibility of using MS Access. MS Access is not really a enterprise level DB. If your site is still quite small you might want to consider converting to MSSQL or even better MySQL. So in the long-term you have more web hosting options, and also will be able to handle a high volume site. (ie. MS Access will not be stable with a high volume)

Just my thoughts.

andrew.
In reply to Andrew James Smit

by Richard Murphy -

Thanks Andrew,

I agree. I intend to convert to MySQL, but need to keep my current config in operation during the process. I've just about decided to get two separate hosting plans, one for Moodle and one for my MSAccess driven site and eventually transition everything over to MySQL. I know Access pretty well. It is intimidating to consider learning a new database system. Do you know of any good books or tutorials? RM

by Andrew James Smit -
MySQL is quite similar in terms of syntax to Access, so you shouldn't have too many problems there.  I don't know any good books off hand, however I find the online manual produced by MySQL is very good. Also because it is open source, there are many many forums that will have the answers you are looking for.

Thanks,
andrew.