Web version of the Moodle ToolGuide

Web version of the Moodle ToolGuide

by Richard Oelmann -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I'm sure everyone is familiar with the very popular Moodle ToolGuide that Joyce Seitzinger (@catspyjamas) originally released and then Gavin Henrick updated for Moodle2. It's been well used and well developed over the years in many institutions and has been a useful tool as an enormous poster on my office wall for several years.

I was recently asked if I could turn that poster into something similar for my own institution, but incorporating the tools from teh wider online learning environment (e.g. including things like webconferencing, lecture capture etc). As part of that discussion, I decided not to do it as a poster, but to do it as an online webpage that could grow and be adapted as our tool-set changes.

With that in mind, and as one step towards the university specific one, I have created the existing moodle tool guide as an online webpage and am releasing it back to the community (in line with the Creative Commons licence on the original - non, commercial, attributed, share alike) for anyone who wants to use it or take it further for their own institution as I will be.

The page created can be seen at http://roelmann.no-ip.org/moodletoolguide and the code behind it can be downloaded from https://github.com/roelmann/moodletoolguide 

Clicking on the tool name (the row title) takes you to a page with additional information, which is currently just a link to the moodle docs for that tool on this version, although the plan is to link it to our own training materials as well, particularly for tools that fall outside the main VLE.

Customising for other tools is straightforward with each tool having a single file which identifies 'success', 'warning' or 'danger' to created the colour and icon for each panel (yes its bootstrap based). Just copy and edit one of the existing tool files for your new tool, then add it to the list in the index.php

I hope it proves useful to someone smile

Richard

Average of ratings: Very cool (3)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

Re: Web version of the Moodle ToolGuide

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Love it Richard smile - especially the whole codification and use of Git for configuration management for updates.  What does 'npm.js' do?

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Web version of the Moodle ToolGuide

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Thanks Gareth smile

It's part of the bootstrap download - I don't think its used at all (unless anythign in bootstrap.min.js calls it), but I made the decision not to make any changes to the upstream downloads involved (bootstrap itself or the bootswatches) so that they can easily be upgraded/replaced in future.

That may change for my 'finished' version for my university, but for this one, going back to the community, I wanted everything as close to standard downloads as possible.

R