Essential Theme: Quiz Navigation

Re: Essential Theme: Quiz Navigation

by Mary Evans -
Number of replies: 15
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

I have just tested a quiz in Moodle 2.9 with the latest Essential theme, and don't see anything ODD at all.

Here is a screenshot:

In reply to Mary Evans

by Marc Hermon -

I noticed that my earlier post was earlier than a new version that came out on Aug 14th so I updated the Essential theme tonight on our 2.9+ moodle. Some things worked that were not working before like the dock color changing correctly when the color themes change, however the quiz nav buttons still are turning grey if you get it correct and staying white if you miss it. I poured over the essential.css file and played around with background colors but could not get this to work. I am in adaptive mode with no penalties if that matters. The actual answer box turns red or green if correct or incorrect but quiz nav buttons still won't do it. I thought perhaps my custom CSS was interfering but I deleted it all out and the problem remains. It's not possible to use a different theme JUST for quizzes is there?

In the screenshot below the first one is correct, the second one is incorrect and the third one has not been answered yet.

Attachment Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 9.24.25 PM.png
In reply to Marc Hermon

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Both Clean and Essential are the same in adaptive mode not showing the 'correctness' of the question as the quiz progresses until submitted....

Attachment 2015-09-09 17_13_27-A quiz.jpg
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Attachment 2015-09-09 17_13_48-A quiz.jpg

by Gareth J Barnard -

Attachment 2015-09-09 17_14_21-A quiz.jpg

by Gareth J Barnard -

Attachment 2015-09-09 17_14_45-A quiz.jpg

by Gareth J Barnard -

I had thought it might be one of these settings, but that made no difference in either theme....

Attachment 2015-09-09 17_15_48-Editing Quiz.jpg

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Marc,

Therefore, please provide a course (mbz file somewhere or a login to a course) which in Clean has a quiz that shows the correct behaviour and in Essential it does not.  Then I'll look on a 'bug no fee' basis, so if there is a bug in Essential, then no charge, if there is not and its a fault in your custom code then I'll have to invoice you for the time.  If you wish to proceed on this basis, then please say so.

Kind regards,

Gareth

In reply to Marc Hermon

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Marc,

Have you tried a Purge all cache might be some old data messing up the view?

cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Marc Hermon -

Yes I always try Purge all cache. 

I just didn't realize that this doesn't work until after the entire quiz is submitted. I had to click "Review immediately after attempt" and "whether correct" and then I see the quiz nav buttons colored correctly. I've only used other themes where the green, red, yellow traffic light thing happens not only on the question but also in the quiz nav. buttons DURING the attempt. This is a big loss for my teachers as we heavily use the quiz module for "formative" assessments in adaptive mode where they work on things until they get them all green.  I will need to figure something else out. Is there anyway to use a different theme for the quiz module only?

In reply to Marc Hermon

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Marc,

No there is not a way to use another theme just for the quiz.  I have not been able to recreate the bug.  I had "Review immediately after attempt" and "whether correct" ticked and in both Clean and Essential, the boxes in the navigation were not coloured in for the quiz nav during the attempt.  If there is a proven bug then I'll fix it.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Marc Hermon -

Yes, I agree there is no bug. 

What I thought was a bug is just missing functionality. What my teachers want and were used to in other themes was the nav boxes changing to red or green DURING the quiz so that they can keep track of what they've got right and what they still need to work on. They would work on a "quiz" until they got every problem green and then submit it. I have activity completion set so that if they finish at least 50% of the problems then it will check off of a checklist. I didn't realize that the Essential theme was made to not do that until you mentioned it in one of the above posts. For consistency purposes I have used Essential starting this fall throughout the entire school district. I think my solution will have to be to just allow teachers that want this capability to use a different theme. Sorry if I wasted anyone's time and thanks for your help as always.

In reply to Marc Hermon

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Marc,

Ok, for the record, there is NO missing functionality in Essential for this.  I've checked again in Clean and you do NOT get feedback in the nav box DURING the quiz in adaptive mode.  This ONLY happens when you use one of the 'immediate' modes with the correct show feedback on setting which is underneath that.  I have tested in both Clean and Essential and the red / green etc. DO show DURING the quiz.  Thus this issue is 'user error' and nothing to do with themes.

I've spent quite a bit of time on this wild goose chase.  Not happy.

Gareth

by Gareth J Barnard -

You also mention activity completion, which is something else.  Do you have a problem with that too?

by Marc Hermon -

I'm extremely sorry that I've upset you. I hope you will accept my apology. I very much respect your help and especially your Moodle genius including the amazing Essential theme. I didn't mean that there was a loss of functionality in Essential just that my teachers lost this functionality when we upgraded. And yes, I experience user error much more than I wish I did. smile

After looking at many other themes I realized that they do function the same way and that the reason I had that functionality was because I had written some custom css somewhere in the past. However back when I did that I did not take very good notes on how I did it. Your feedback in this post has definitely helped me though. Your last post that said that the functionality my teachers want DOES indeed happen when in some kind of immediate feedback mode, triggered my memory of past discussions on this with others and possible solutions. 

So, for anyone who stumbles upon this thread here is the solution to my problem that was resolved in Moodle 2.9. (The key is the new redo question feature!): 

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=310239#p1245694

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-40992

immediate feedback

In reply to Marc Hermon

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I have tested a few themes and can't find the functionality you describe in any of them.

Can you perhaps tell us what theme you were using previously that you say does have this functionality in it, because (like Gareth) I can only replicate what you are describing by altering quiz settings to an immediate feedback option and when I do that it works in Essential exactly as it does in Clean.

in fact I'd be rather worried by a theme overriding that functionality and giving that kind of feedback to students when it wasn't selected by staff in the quiz settings as that could lead to major issues if you were using a quiz in a more formal testing setting!