Submission stage, displaing all students (sumbitted/not submitted)

Submission stage, displaing all students (sumbitted/not submitted)

by Mahmoud Kassaei -
Number of replies: 4
At the OU we have a requirement that teachers want to be able to tell which of their students have submitted and which haven't at the Submission phase, so that they can follow up with those who haven't submitted their work.

A the moment at the bottom of the "Submission phase" page under "All submissions(N)" title

only the details of students who have submitted displayed and therefore, it is not easy for teachers to see immediately which students have not submitted their work .

We propose to checnge the following at the bottom of the "Submisstion phase" page:
  1.  change the heading "All submissions(N)", weher N is the number of submissions to somthing like "Submitted (N) / Not submitted(M), where N is the number of  students who have submitted and M is the number of students who haven't.
  2. We replace the list of under "All submissions(N)" heading with a table simillar to the table in "Assessment phase" without the last two columns (see attachments.
  Sorry I have to go, I will provid the mock as attachment tomorrow.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mahmoud Kassaei

Re: Submission stage, displaing all students (sumbitted/not submitted)

by Mahmoud Kassaei -

Hee are the attachments:

• current submission phase page
  • proposing submission phase page
Attachment current_Submission_pahse_page.png
Attachment proposing_Submission_pahse_page.png
Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Definitely +1. It only makes sense.

Just a note. As described at the second point of MDL-43280, there are situations where you actually want to focus only on actual workshop participants, not all enrolled users. So I would personally prefer a toggle button bellow the heading, something like "Show all enrolled users" / "Show only users with submitted work".

And by the way, for the next versions of the module, I am going to get rid of the word "submission" from the UI. Let us try to replace it with something like "submitted work" or so (suggestions welcome).

Would you like to work on a patch implementing this yourself? That would be highly appreciated!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Mahmoud Kassaei -

Thanks David,

Considering that the table is sortable, we can display all participants and then teachers can sort the table by “Submission” column, this way, they can visually see the two section of the table (list of students with submitted work / list of students who haven’t submitted their work). Alternatively, they can sort by ‘First name” / “Surname” for tracking certain students.

BTW, I see the need for search facilities in the future of this module which would allow teachers filtering desired information.

“Submission” vs "Submitted work":  I cannot think of a better word at this moment. However, I prefer "Submitted work" or “work submitted”.

I am going to implement the proposed work and make patch. I guess I need to create a new issue in the Tracker  

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Great! Yes, let us start with a new issue in the tracker where we can continue to discuss details. By the way, I was thinking - would "Last modified" time be useful in this table, too? So that teachers could sort the table by it and have most recently updated work at the top.

In fact, now thinking about it... Instead of having this new table as a stripped down version of the grading table from later phases - why not to have it as an additional report table focused on submissions only. It could contain more sortable columns (time modified, number of allocated assessments, grade for the submitted work etc) and it could be displayed in later phases, too. So that we would have two "reports" there - one focused on assessments (that is the table currently there) and the new one below it focused on submission details.