MySQL problems when installing/upgrading to Moodle 2.9

MySQL problems when installing/upgrading to Moodle 2.9

by Elaine Wilson -
Number of replies: 5

I am trying to upgrade from 2.3 to 2.9 and had problems with the database format. My hosting company have not been able to help so I decided to create a new database and start from scratch. The problem I have is that Moodle is not happy with the version of MySQL that my hosting company has provided. Please see below.

Database MySQL (5.5.5-10.0.14-MariaDB)                 version 5.5.31 is required and you are running 5.5.5.10.0.14           Check

I also have the problem below.

slasharguments               if test fails, it indicates a potential problem               Check

It is recommended that the use of slash arguments is enabled. In future it will be required. For more details, see documentation Using slash arguments.

Has anyone else come across this? Any suggestions please?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Elaine Wilson

Re: MySQL problems when installing/upgrading to Moodle 2.9

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If your web host does not have a later compatible version of PHP, then you will need to go to 2.8 instead of 2.9 until they change that. 

The Slash arguments message should not stop the install - you can check the setting in your admin settings under Server/HTTP.

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The problem is that it is not MySQL - you are using MariaDB. In your config.php change $CFG->dbtype = 'mysqli'; to $CFG->dbtype = 'mariadb'; and your problem will be solved.

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Elaine,

Though there are side-by-side versions of MariaDB and MySQL that matches the versions numbers, like 5.x.x of MySQL will as well be available as 5.x.x of MariaDB.

But, recently MariaDB have released another branch starting from version 10.x.x together with their already available branch series of 5.x.x

now your webhost have installed the 10.0.14 version, and whilst install, you may be choosing MySQL as your installation database, so try choosing MariaDB as your database, like shown below (if doing a new install).

Else if you want to modify current install, then simply try changing the config.php and choosing "mariadb" as database driver rather "mysqli" ----> but I doubt on version 10 it will work straight away.

This MAY solve your issue, though choosing MySQL where MariaDB is installed shouldn't be an issue as MariaDB is drop-in replacement for MySQL as well, but only for version 5.x.x series, not sure about version 10.x series.

btw, which hosting provider are you with? (want to know who is dumb enough to install 10 series rather than usual 5 series MariaDB)

by Elaine Wilson -

Petr Skoda  Thank you.  It seems so obvious now.

The system administrators at my hosting company had this for 3 days and could only advise me to upgrade.

Much appreciated.  The installation has run without any problems.

Thank you Usman. My hosting company is 123-reg.  I have passed on the solution to them in case they have other clients with the same issue. 

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Thankfully I just have domains hosted with 123-reg. In terms of hosting, I always prefer German or US Web servers.