Upgrading to 2.9 - get PHP MySQLi Error

Upgrading to 2.9 - get PHP MySQLi Error

by Geoff Diggles -
Number of replies: 11

I have currently built a test moodle on Windows Server 2012 which replicates our school Moodle. This is to allow me to run test upgrades and troubleshoot errors. The version is on 2.6.4 and I am trying to upgrade to 2.9. I have set the required files such as PHP.ini and config.ini. However, whilst running the upgrade I get the error shown in the attachment in respect of MySQLi. I have the DBType set to MySQLi in config.php and the extensions enabled in PHP.ini. I wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction, the attachment shows the config I am using.

Thanks

Geoff

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Geoff Diggles

Re: Upgrading to 2.9 - get PHP MySQLi Error

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello there. I can't help, sorry, as it's not my area but I thought maybe asking a few more questions might 'up' the post a bit so others more knowledgeable will see it. Can you confirm then that you need to go from MySQL 5.5.30 which you are on now to 5.5.31 and for the PHP , currently you are on 5.3.19 and need to go to a minimum of 5.4.4? (But I believe you want to go to 5.5 for some future-proofing?)

Anybody have any suggestions?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Mary is correct - we need to know what versions of MySQL and PHP you are using to make sure that that is not the issue...Mary has posted the required minimum versions.

This looks like a Windows install - Usman, can you help???

In reply to Emma Richardson

Re: Upgrading to 2.9 - get PHP MySQLi Error with PHP 5.5

by Geoff Diggles -

Thanks for the replies. I have just upgraded the database on my test moodle to 5.5.43 which is within the specs of Moodle 2.9. When I try to upgrade with PHP 5.5 I get the MySQLi error, if I down the PHP to 5.4 the upgrade moves to the next page ready for performing the upgrade install.

(Edited by Mary Cooch to edit title - original submission Wednesday, 17 June 2015, 2:10 PM)

by Geoff Diggles -

Just checked the specs again for 2.9 and PHP 5.4 is acceptable, have run the upgrade and all went through. Need to look at why PHP 5.5 wasn't happy but this should get me through the 2.9 upgrade to start with. Thanks Geoff

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Great stuff Geoff - it is interesting because I have seen posts on here previously about whether you could use PHP 5.5 and the feeling seemed to be it wouldn't be a problem- wonder if anyone here has any experiences ?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I am running 2.8 and 2.9 in a development environment on PHP 5.6.7 so I can't see why 5.5 wouldn't work...

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Geoff Diggles -

It may well work with PHP 5.6 I didn't really go into that version, and the server is happy with PHP on all versions relating up to 5.4 when doing windows IIS test for PHP and I got ok results on 5.6 as far as windows was concerned but 5.5 was not a happy bunny. As I say I have time ti dig into that a bit further knowing 5.4 will work for me.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

CentOS 5.11

PHP 5.5.25 (cli) (built: May 15 2015 07:47:31)
Copyright (c) 1997-2015 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.5.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2015 Zend Technologies
    with Zend OPcache v7.0.4-dev, Copyright (c) 1999-2015, by Zend Technologies
    with Xdebug v2.3.2, Copyright (c) 2002-2015, by Derick Rethans

mysql  Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.37 using mysqli (socket - localhost)

Multiple Moodles:
elis/version.php:$release  = '2.7.8+ (Build: 20150521)'
ltimoodle/version.php:$release  = '2.7.8+ (Build: 20150521)'
moodle19/version.php:    $release = '1.9.19+ (Build: 20130513)'
moodle25/version.php:$release  = '2.5.9 (Build: 20141110)'
moodle26/version.php:$release  = '2.6.11 (Build: 20150511)'
moodle27/version.php:$release  = '2.7.8 (Build: 20150511)'
moodle28/version.php:$release  = '2.8.6 (Build: 20150511)'
moodle29/version.php:$release  = '2.9+ (Build: 20150514)'

Apache running under mod.

Issues?  There might be but haven't run across them yet.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Syed Abdullah -

Sorry as i am intruding and posting ia wrong thread but can anyone please tell me that i have to implement a hack that i found here.

i have to copy it to lib/pagelib.php, i simply copy pasted but it is showing me error, please tell me how to implement it.

Moodle 2.9

ELIS 2.9

sorry again

by Damyon Wiese -
It looks to me like you haven't properly installed/enabled the mysql extension for php 5.5. Ie - there is most likely a separate configuration file for it and you have enabled it for php 5.4 but not php 5.5. Exactly how to do it depends on how you installed php etc.
In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Raphael Kasonga -

I am trying to upgrade from Moodle 2.6 to 2.9 but I got the following error:

Moodle 2.7 or later requires at least PHP 5.4.4 (currently using version 5.3.28).
Please upgrade your server software or install older Moodle version.

I am sure that PHP 5.5.11 is installed in the server.

Please help

Raphael