Hiding emails from course mates

Hiding emails from course mates

by Alireza Meshkin Mehr -
Number of replies: 9

Hi everyone,

I need to hide user emails from their course mates in moodle 2.8 course profiles as a default. I couldn't find any solution on the net! Could anyone help me ?

Regards

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alireza Meshkin Mehr

Re: Hiding emails from course mates

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

This has been an issue in Moodle for a while, but no-one, it seems, pays any attention to it. The default setting for emails seems to be set in code so it is likely that you will have to do a grep search in the codebase, which was my first stop. I can't even find the page that sets up the data entry page for manual enrollments, but I am not a dev anyway... 

I am not sure there is actually an easy way to change the default setting within Moodle. I would think it seems more likely there is a field in the database that sets the default, but I couldn't find it after a cursory search. Change that default setting to "Hide my email address from everyone", and that should take care of the issue. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

What happens when you go to Site admin>Users>Accounts>User default preferences and change the email display to "hide my email address from everyone" ?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Alireza Meshkin Mehr -

Wow, finally found it ! Thank you Mary for the point. I had set it to "hide my email address from everyone" before I post the question here, but thought that it didn't work as there were account profiles with their emails shown to course mates in them . Now, while you mentioned the setting again, it ringed the bell and I checked some other profiles and ended up with the answer. The setting works correctly and all the emails related to every user registering after the time that I've changed the settings, is hidden. Those which I have checked before were the older users' profiles and so with the email status set to be shown to other course mates.

Thanks again and hope it would help others with the same problem

Regards

In reply to Alireza Meshkin Mehr

by seaghan moriarty -

hi Mary (et al smile),

I'm not sure if/how to submit the following as a bug report to Moodle. Can anyone advise?

Scenario: (Moodle 2.5.9 
Overview: Students with setting: "Hide my email address from everyone" can see each others' email addresses

Reproduction:

1. I have created two test students in one course.
  2. For both these students, their profile option "Email display" is set to "Hide my email address from everyone".
  3. I log in as either of these students and navigate to my course.  Within the Participants block it lists all the course participants and the email addresses of all are visible, even for the test students whose profiles I updated to hide their email address.

2 questions:

a) Is this a bug and how to submit

b) I keep trying to find: Site admin>Users>Accounts>**User default preferences** but it is eluding me sad

Screenshot-M2.5-UsersAccountsSettings.png

In reply to seaghan moriarty

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello there. In reply to your second query, user default preferences only appeared in 2.8 so you wont find it in your 2.5

In reply to Mary Cooch

by seaghan moriarty -

Perfect Mary - thanks for saving my sanity!!
(and I presume that this function is not available via another UI menu either - in Moodle 2.5)

Thanks!!

by seaghan moriarty -

Spirit of sharing

In SITE ADMINISTRATION >USERS> PERMISSIONS >DEFINE ROLES (choose Student)

I unticked: View user profiles :: moodle/user:viewdetails

This has now disabled the viewing of profiles for students other than themselves.

I'm not sure whether 'disabled' was the default for Moodle all along, and someone changed it - or if I've changed a default setting. However it seems to have worked ie. disabled students from viewing profiles and thus emails of other students.

by Ingrid DSouza -

Hi Seaghan, 

Many thanks for sharing - just wondering if you do this change in the Admin area is it for all users or only students?

I just need to hide student emails (personal accounts) from other students, and in the profile settings area, so that it can not be searched for at all - confidentiality issue.

I know you can do this with a CSV upload - through adding maildisplay = 0 but wanted to know if ALL users wont be able to see the email address. (i.e. teachers wont see students email address?)

cheers

Ingrid

In reply to Ingrid DSouza

by seaghan moriarty -

hi Ingrid,

if you have upgraded to 2.8 or 2.9 - here is where you can control this. Hope this helps!Screenshot of Student capabilities