Essential V2.8.1.5 pre-release for Moodle 2.8.

Essential V2.8.1.5 pre-release for Moodle 2.8.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 22
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Moodlers,

If you have a test server (do NOT install in production), then please could you check Essential V2.8.1.5 before I release it (probably on Monday 15th June 2015), you can get the code using the 'Download ZIP' button here: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/tree/553249c0bee1fe10ac43a76bfa3d75f7ca0e516a

It incorporates:

- FIX: Issue #469: Top menu bar message Update notifications messages blank.
- FIX: Issue #473: Cloze answer fields overflow to the right on mobiles.
- FIX: Issue #478: Unable to find CSS when themedir set but theme is in default dir.  Thanks to Tyler Bannister.
- FIX: Issue #479: "This Course" menu only displays on course home page.
- FIX: Issue #480: Calendar issues.
- FIX: Issue #481: Drag and drop img handle shown on front page calendar when editing.
- FIX: Issue #483: Colouring a heading in TinyMCE reverts back to paragraph / body font.
- FIX: Issue #485: My courses not using correct context for view hidden courses capability.
- FIX: Issue #490: Availability date selection dropdowns.
- FIX: Issue #496: Category icons number of courses not shown on front page category list.
- FIX: Issue #504: Essentials child theme will not inherit parent settings.  Thanks to Brendan Anderson.
- FIX: Issue #506: Essential Summary error.
- FIX: Tidy up alternative colours.
- FIX: Carousel control icons slightly clipped.
- FIX: Enrol users icon -> FontAwesome one.
- FIX: Slight tweak to floating headers in gradebook.
- FIX: Production LESS -> CSS issues when generating 'background:' attributes for colours, resulting in 'background:0 0;'.

It must not be run on Moodle 2.9 as there are lots of other things I need to do for that version.  This is Moodle 2.8 ONLY.

This has been made possible by recent kind donations.

Thanks,

Gareth

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Essential V2.8.1.5 pre-release for Moodle 2.8.

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Gareth, just fired up the whole new Moodle to install Essential 2.8.1.5, on default settings, the "block editing on" button with white text is barely visible, can the button be made inheriting the theme color instead making it more visible (Like Save Button is). 

I am not using essential in any of my installations yet (keeping the best for last), so any other feedback from my side would be limited, better from those who are actively using it. Though I do Essential tests on 2.9 and 3.0 (worked fine on both too)

In reply to Usman Asar

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Usman,

Firstly, thank you very much for testing.  I'll look into the nature of the editing button.  It occurs to me that when I fixed the 'background:0 0' issue that I may have introduced unexpected 'anomilies' for things that were alright but in fact only working due to broken code.  This looks like taking longer than the announced release date.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Gareth,

I tested this as a brand new install using the zip files from GitHub but the only problem I got was an ERROR when installing via Plugins/Instal page.

I by-passed that process, renamed the folder and dragged it into my Moodle 2.8 [2.8.6+ (Build: 20150612)] localhost server. From then on I had no problems. I tested the Alternative colours and don't recall seeing anything odd but will test again.

Thanks for the work you are doing with Essential theme. ouch!

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thank you for testing Mary smile - I'd forgotten that when the zip is uploaded to Moodle.org that the process makes it possible for zip file installation.  Clearly here that hasn't happened.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thanks for testing Mary and Usman, I've now updated the branch to incorporate the fixes: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/tree/69490d83cc9b07d4b3a09b8be14c6fc67fb1424f

by Usman Asar -

There MAY could be another small issue (or could be just me) based on I had done a quick installation of moodle from script installer (which I dont recommend to anyone) - If things are working fine at your end then you can simply ignore this.

When Essential set as theme, the color menu doesnt show before and after color boxes

Thinking that I may have issue with my moodle (or even at one point thought that this feature may have been removed from moodle 2.8+), I switched to more theme, and went to Essential color menu, and it was showing OK

I then switched back to Essential, and same issue. Had purged theme cache's and as well whole  cache to see if it fixes, but it doesn't. Had tested on different browsers and all showed same effect. (this is so far the first release of this version I am using).

In case if you aren't seeing anything  like that, then it must be the culprit script installer.

by Usman Asar -

Update to above post:

Deleted the moodle, and installed from scratch (this time manual method) and downloading the updated Essential, unfortunately same issue prevails. 

now it may be issue with my webhost, unless you see issue yourself dont indulge into that, as this is something that is not breaking any code, plenty people seldom look at color blocks, they just type in the hexa values. If I manage to test it on my some other host and experience same issue, I will let you know.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Usman,

There is a logic difference in pixel values with @media declarations on the form-label and form-setting classes that I'll fix tomorrow.  The boxes for the colours are underneath the colour picker.  Thanks for spotting.

Gareth

by S. Ali -

Hello Gareth,

I've installed the update on Moodle 2.8.6+ (Build: 20150612).

I noticed that text boxes were extending into the right column (this also happens on the current version).

By adding the following to the custom css box it fixes the problem as well as re-aligns the colour picker so the sample colours are shown.:

.form-horizontal .control-label, .form-item .form-label, .mform .fitem div.fitemtitle, .userprofile dl.list dt {
    width: 180px;

The value was changed from 245 to 180.

Regards,

sali

In reply to S. Ali

by Usman Asar -

S Ali, Thanks for the tip. whats your overall pixel width?

where one is using Essential on a smaller screens, this could happen, where as of January 2015 statistics, 81.7% of the screen pixels widths are 1366 wide or higher, so opening essential at 1366 would adjust the text boxes fairly well, if you are  on smaller screen (Like I do testing on 1280 pixels wide) you can expect this to happen with opportunity of drag and re-size of text box.

hard coding the width in pixels will solve your issue for your screen, but imagine opening it on a higher pixels width (like 1920) where your text boxes get limited, or even you never know who is opening your Moodle at what screen size. In this case I would take average of my visitors and adjust accordingly. you don't want visitors with higher pixels width to find the inpt boxes in form of small boxes later to drag and resize the text box every time they want to type in longer paragraphs where the trend is upwards in using bigger screens. 

In reply to Usman Asar

by Richard Schwarz -

I tend to set things using percentages to allow scaling on different screen sizes. These text boxes could be scaled to a percentage of their parent div sizes, I'm assuming.

In reply to Richard Schwarz

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thanks all.  The form label issue was caused by old rogue CSS that was not responsive.  Latest version: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/tree/a499421956242ee57e50ddf0d3fb901095538537.

by S. Ali -

Thank you Gareth.

It fixed both issue and everything looks fine so far, except on the Edit Setting page for a Quiz, under the Timing section:

I'll try to test some more later on.

Regards,

sali

In reply to S. Ali

by Gareth J Barnard -

With the timing issue, that is also an issue in the Clean theme but is not apparent as there is no border.  Changing that value from 'auto' will break this: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/issues/490.  Catch-22.

Attachment 2015-06-16 14_38_29-Editing Quiz.jpg

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok,

On / Off fixed and a compromise on the 'Timing' drop down implemented.  New version: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/tree/7b143e84aede4007963ef2e0799abccf41ab6d9e

Also, may I draw your attention to: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=314916 - where if it goes ahead I'll seriously consider making Essential a 'paid for premium' theme.

Cheers,

Gareth

by S. Ali -

Thank you Gareth.

Looks good - happy to have the colours back.

Interesting thread. I agree that developers should be compensated in some form for their expertise, time and effort.

Will keep an eye on the thread to see how things progress.

In reply to S. Ali

by Gareth J Barnard -

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thank you to everybody who tested the theme for me, really helps smile

In reply to Usman Asar

by S. Ali -

Hello Usman,

Screen resolution is 1920x1080.

The code applied to the text on the left of the boxes not the text box itself. That was set to 100% and not changed.

As Richard mentioned, using percentages is perhaps better/easier for scaling.

The latest version that Gareth posted sorted out the issues.

Regards,

sali

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The Block edit button is all white that is why I did not see it! LOL

It needs something like...

.breadcrumb-button {
    input[type="submit"] {
      background-image: ~"setting:alternativethemecolor3";
      background-image: linear-gradient(to bottom, #efefef,~"setting:alternativethemecolor3" );

&:hover {
        background-image: linear-gradient(to bottom, #efefef,~"setting:alternativethemehovercolor3" );
      }
    }
  }

I'm just testing it out now and running Grunt and wish I had not started that as it is taking ages on my Windows7.

Cheers

Mary

by S. Ali -

Just another quick observation. Not sure if it was an intended change or not.

On a course page, the colour of the Turn Editing On/Off buttons are the same (blue on my install) whereas previously it was Green to turn On and Red to turn off.