Upload courses in combination with course reset

Upload courses in combination with course reset

by Sarah Ricketts -
Number of replies: 1

Has anyone managed to successfully use the 'upload courses' CSV option followed by course reset to change the date 1 year on?  I'm preparing for annual course rollover time.

Test A: As part of my testing, for an *existing* course, if I go to "edit settings > start date" and change the date to 1 year on, no assignment deadlines get updated.  If I go to '"reset" and give a new start date, the assignment deadlines are updated accordingly.  That's fine.

However - I really want to copy a course for next academic year and update the startdate after copy.  I've tried all sorts of combinations with 'uploaded courses' (using the 'upload course' CSV method) on both our test 2.6 installation and my local 2.8 installation.  I've tried to insert a startdate into the upload course CSV, which DOES successfully update the new course copy's start date (when you look in edit settings) however, Assignment dates are still incorrectly in the past and have not updated.  I've also tried *not* including a startdate in the upload course CSV and instead once the course copied successfully I followed the same steps as Test A (above) - but then I got very weird Assignment changes - i.e. I moved the course start by 1 year to 1st Sept 2015 and assignments inside the course updated to 2060 (45 years to complete the assignment!) and on another test it set to 1945???

What am I doing wrong?!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Sarah

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sarah Ricketts

Re: Upload courses in combination with course reset

by Dwight Hawley -

Hi Sarah,

Looking for the same solution.  I think I've tried about every combination of import option. My goal is to have a list (.csv) of courses that wil back up and then create new courses using a template course (THIS PART WORKS WONDERFULLY) and have the new course reset and ready for use sans students, grades etc. It almost looks as if the upload process does this pretty much as a byproduct of being run, but i fear I am missing something.

Logically it looks like the last import option, "allow resets", set to Yes along with a reset column with a value of 1 in the .csv should do this, but doesn't seem to be the case.

And in the off chance someone can inform us regarding reset, I'm also wondering if it is possible to use the same .csv to bulk backup those files before beginning the process.

Call me lazy if you will, but i actually am trying to find a system my client can use with as few steps as possible to turn around their courses for a future term.

Thanks!

Dwight