Upgradation from Moodle 2.0.1 to latest moodle 2.9 using wamp server 2.2

Upgradation from Moodle 2.0.1 to latest moodle 2.9 using wamp server 2.2

by Neha M -
Number of replies: 4

Hi All,

I am a beginner in moodle and wamp server environment  ...Kindly answer my queries on urgent basis .

Question 1. :   Please send me the steps to upgrade from moodle 2.0.1 based website running on live  server to moodle 2.9  (or any other latest moodle version).

Question 2:   i am trying to upload scorm 1.2 based package on moodle 2.0.1 website running on live server but even after logging in  with admin access ... I face the error:  Cannot read file, either file does not exist or there are permissions problem.   **************URGENT ***********************

Please advice how I can upload this scorm 1.2 package to this website based on outdated version of moodle 2.0.1  . Please reply.... i have already crossed the SLA.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Neha M

Re: Upgradation from Moodle 2.0.1 to latest moodle 2.9 using wamp server 2.2

by Michael de Raadt -
Hi, Neha.

I've moved this post from the Research forum to the Installation forum, where I hope you will find more help.
In reply to Neha M

by Neha M -

Hi All,

Please reply !... I am waiting for your precious response.

In reply to Neha M

by Bret Miller -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Neha,

You can't upgrade from Moodle 2.0.1 to Moodle 2.9 directly. So your first step is to upgrade to Moodle 2.2.11. You can find those instructions here: https://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Upgrading

You can find the download for Moodle 2.2.11 on this page: https://download.moodle.org/releases/legacy/

Important things to note:

• Check the server requirements. As you move forward, Moodle requires newer versions of PHP and MySQL so you will need to upgrade your WAMP environment in addition to Moodle.
  • Check your plugins. Anything you've added beyond core Moodle will also likely need an upgrade. Make sure those plugins are available in the version you want to upgrade to.
  • Back up everything. If your Moodle upgrade fails or something doesn't work properly after the upgrade, the only way to downgrade is to restore your backup.
  • Read the upgrade document for each version of Moodle you're skipping. Just because you're skipping that version doesn't mean the changes in it don't apply. Depending on how you use Moodle, there may be additional upgrade steps required in an intermediate version that you will still need to apply even if you skip that version.

Of course those are all part of the instructions. Note that it is simpler to incrementally upgrade rather than dealing with 9 upgrades at once, even if you do it in 2 steps.

I'd highly recommend that you create a copy of your Moodle website (see "Moodle Migration") and test the upgrades first.

In reply to Bret Miller

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

The Moodle question engine was rewritten in 2.1 so if you have a lot of quiz attempts you need to prepare for the upgrade of the question data for those quiz attempts.

The Assignment module was completely rewritten in Moodle 2.3, so if you have a lot of assignment submissions you need to prepare for the upgrade of those  assignment submissions.

The Moodle Theme engine had a major upgrade in 2.5, so you'll need to upgrade your theme or find a new 2.5 compatible Bootstrap-based theme.

So, depending on how much student data and courses you have, your upgrade could be very big. If so, it's probably best to tackle it in several steps.

Read the Release Notes for each version carefully to work out just how big your upgrade will be and what you must do to complete it successfully - https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Category:Release_notes

Average of ratings: Useful (1)