Question Authoring Software

Question Authoring Software

by Sebastian H. -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Testers

Dear Moodlers,

does anyone know a working offline-question/quiz-authoring software beside Respondus and question-machine?

Best regards

Sebastian

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sebastian H.

Re: Question Authoring Software

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

My old copy of Examview (version 4) works.  However, I do not know of any product (even Respondus) that supports all of Moodle's question types.

In reply to Sebastian H.

by Rob Johnson -

Some of our textbooks come with Examview or Testgen.  Both will produce a Blackboard export that can import into Moodle.

In reply to Sebastian H.

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

A text editor with Aiken- or GIFT-formatted questions is the obvious offline authoring approach, but for slightly more sophistication such as support for feedback, a list of plug-ins that support other authoring tools (e.g. HotPot, Word) is available at Question Format.

In reply to Eoin Campbell

by Rob Johnson -

Hi Eoin,

Do Aiken and GIFT imports support images in the questions/answers?  The reason I have pointed my teachers to Examview is the ability to include images in question imports.

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Rob,

Standard GIFT import format doesn't support images, sounds and videos, but there is a plugin that add this functionality: gift with medias format https://moodle.org/plugins/view/qformat_giftmedia. The syntax is exactly the same and it support all GIFT functionalities.

In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by david southern -
Just for your information; there's a basic question generator for IOS (iPad) which will present Respondus with a CSV file called CSVcreator. This is just a convenience program for those people on the move. I wrote it for myself as I rarely use windows. 

I'm in the process of writing a Mac version with Aiken and other support for Moodle, Respondus and maybe Blackboard.