Maximum number of "active" students in moodle course

Maximum number of "active" students in moodle course

by Inna Eivin -
Number of replies: 5

Hello, i would like to ask if there is a maximum number of "active" students enrolled in moodle course. I mean students that participate in forums and other activities, take quizes etc., not only watching the contents ( files/videos). We use moodle 2.4 in our organization and are planning to build very large course, with more then 100,000 enrolled users as students. May the number of students cause problems? 

Thanks, Inna

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Inna Eivin

Re: Maximum number of "active" students in moodle course

by ben reynolds -

That number got my attention big grin

The UK's Open University deals with large numbers like yours in Moodle. As I understand it, Quiz is the major issue with simultaneous users. Tim Hunt is in charge of Moodle's Quiz, and he also works for the OU.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Inna Eivin -

Thanks Ben Reynolds for your answer, it's good to know that somebody allready tried using moodle for large number of students and moodle can handle it . I saw in other discussion (from 2011) that in large courses like that sometimes there are also  back-up problems.  If the back-up file contains user's data, eventually it will become huge i suppose... Maybe large courses fit more for containing materials and contents (and to be so called information courses), but i have to invesigate this further.. 

In reply to Inna Eivin

by Just H -
Impressive numbers there, but how about a Moodle platform designed for 2 million users (no idea how many per course)? Haven't heard much about it since its launch.
In reply to Inna Eivin

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

If you get 100,000 students taking a quiz at the same time things will not go well. So I strongly recommend a separate machine/infrastructure for high stakes quizzing and an attention to scheduling of such quizzes. Ensure that large file serving is also offloaded, i.e. video upload and streaming.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Inna Eivin -

Thanks Marcus Green, we'll take it into consideration!