Moodle slow with admin settings

Moodle slow with admin settings

by Federica Marra -
Number of replies: 3

Hello everyone,
I am running Moodle 2.8.5+ and my server info are:

System Linux ip-172-31-35-185 3.13.0-36-generic #63-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 3 21:30:07 UTC 2014 x86_64

Apache Version Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu)
Apache API Version 20120211

I started having problem with charging the "site administration" menu. The scroll menu doesn't appear when I click on the folder icon.

Another issue is the impossibility to change the title of the resources directly by clicking on the pencil icon (It is not a big issue, but indeed it is an issue). I found it slow in other pages as well.
I thought it could have depended on the "event monitoring" I enabled today: I disabled it and purged the caches, but it still not working.

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Federica Marra

Re: Moodle slow with admin settings

by Paul Verrall -

Hi Federica,

I may be related to yui/javascript resources not loading correctly, you should be able to spot any issues loading resources by using your browsers devtools (e.g. F12 in Chrome, hit the network tab and refresh). If this is the case a likely candidate for the cause would be slash arguments not working correctly, 

You can disable slasharguments at <yourmoodle>/admin/settings.php?section=http

This should confirm if this is the issue; if it is check out the information here as you most likely want this feature working.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Federica Marra

by Sam Stevens -

I had exactly this problem with the admin menu not expanding and I can't for the life of me remember exactly what I did to fix it.

Things I will have probably tried:

Restart the services on the server. Apache and mysql

Try switching the theme to a simpler one and then seeing if it works and then back again.

After purging the cache make sure you force a browser refresh as well. 

I don't think I touched slash arguments.

I know that is a bit vague but I'll think on and see if I can remember exactly what I did.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Sam Stevens

by Federica Marra -

@ Sam and Paul, thanks to both of you!

I managed to have the menu working again but I don't know what I did, except purging all caches more times.

I think my server was just very slow that day because I did nothing with the theme or slash arguments (even too far for my knowledge, actually).