Moodledata/temp/backup folder (Moodle 2.6)

Moodledata/temp/backup folder (Moodle 2.6)

by Eneritz Uriarte -
Number of replies: 8

Hi i have a question about the moodledata/temp/backup folder.
I thought that all the backups are saved on the moodledata/filedir folder. In my case it takes 50Gb. But I see that the moodle/temp/backup folder is 110Gb big!. Could i delete the content of this folder securely ?
I’m running Moodle 2.6.
Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eneritz Uriarte

Re: Moodledata/temp/backup folder (Moodle 2.6)

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There's been a lot of discussion about this of late. 

This should get cleaned up, IF your cron is running (without errors) and if your automatic backups are completing without errors. Check both. If you need help with any of that, please let us know.

In reply to Howard Miller

by Eneritz Uriarte -

Hi Howard thanks for your reply.

I have run the cron and get the following errors:

Server Time: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 13:47:10 +0200

Running clean-up tasks...
... started 13:47:10. Current memory use 26.5MB.
 Deleted old backup records
 Deleted old cache_text records
!!! Error reading the database!!!

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Switch on Debugging and do that again.

by Eneritz Uriarte -

Hi i have run the cron again and this time has worked ok. It seems that the backups are made correctly because the cron task don’t show any error and there is more date used on the hd. But is if I run the cron again the backups are made again.

Is safe delete the folder temp/backup to continue testing? because the HD is running out of space.

Thanks

by Howard Miller -

Yes - it should be fine. However, you'll need to keep an eye on it because evidence suggests something is going wrong. Check your backup logs and possibly switch on Debugging (just logging to error log) and check for issues. Also, capture your cron output perhaps.

by Albert Ramsbottom -

We are having some issues with large or complex backups but that is another issue and there are trackers for this.  However the ones that remain unfinished or error remain in the folder.

I think that Moodle should periodically look in there for failed backups and delete them.

We are using Windows, IIS and there are issues with the auto backups with windows.  In all versions of Moodle

Just my pennies worth

Albert

In reply to Albert Ramsbottom

by Howard Miller -

Probably worth raising a tracker request along the lines of "bin temporary data >n days old".

Although, this could be the only thing that is telling you there is a problem so my feeling is that the error reporting isn't good enough someplace. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)