I have wished for this capability in the chat for years. THanks for taking the time to develop it.
I just tried your modified chat in the latest Moodle 2.9+ and see a couple of problems with it.
First problem is there is a significant difference in the version numbers and I had to fudge things to get Moodle 2.9 to run your version of Chat.
They seem to have just recently modified every mod_form.php file in Moodle so your version gives the following debug message when creating a chat activity and debug is on:
Function moodleform_mod::add_intro_editor() is deprecated, use moodleform_mod::standard_intro_elements() instead.
- line 692 of /course/moodleform_mod.php: call to debugging()
- line 27 of /mod/chat/mod_form.php: call to moodleform_mod->add_intro_editor()
- line 191 of /lib/formslib.php: call to mod_chat_mod_form->definition()
- line 86 of /course/moodleform_mod.php: call to moodleform->moodleform()
- line 255 of /course/modedit.php: call to moodleform_mod->moodleform_mod()
It is an easy fix by just changing line 27 to $this->standard_intro_elements(true, get_string('chatintro', 'chat'));
When anyone goes to enter the chat with debug on, they get the following:
add_to_log() has been deprecated, please rewrite your code to the new events API
- line 142 of /lib/deprecatedlib.php: call to debugging()
- line 73 of /mod/chat/view.php: call to add_to_log()
The fix for this is a little more involved and takes multiple lines of code and I have not played with it yet. Easiest would be to go look at the newer code for chat's view.php file and integrate it.