Intention to remove capability "mod/scheduler:disengage"

Intention to remove capability "mod/scheduler:disengage"

by Henning Bostelmann -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

Currently, Scheduler has a capability setting "mod/scheduler:disengage" which controls whether students can drop their appointments. By default, all students have this capability and they see a button "Drop my appointments" in the booking screen. However, admins can change the configuration and remove this capability from students (I'm not sure how often they do that in practice). In that case, students can't drop their appointments once they've booked a slot. They can only change their booking, dropping one appointment and booking another one at the same time.

This seemed to make sense when students were only allowed to book one slot at a time. But since Scheduler 2.7, students can be allowed to make more than one booking, and then the concept of "changing the booking" is more complex (and in fact Scheduler will always allow students to drop their appointments in this configuration).

With further feature requests (e.g., paging in student view, CONTRIB-5194), things will become even more complicated in this respect - which makes me wonder whether the feature to deny students "dropping" (rather than changing) their appointments is really worthwhile.

In other words, I'm planning to remove the setting in future versions. Students would then always be allowed to drop their appointments, unless the appointments are within the "guard time".

However, if you still require this feature, please reply here, and explain why you think it's required.

Thanks
Henning

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Henning Bostelmann

Re: Intention to remove capability "mod/scheduler:disengage"

by Mark Pearson -

This seems like a reasonable thing to do.

by Henning Bostelmann -

Just to say that this change has now landed in the master branch. Any student who is allowed to book a slot can now also cancel the booking, subject to time restrictions (in particular the Guard Time setting).

by Marc Couture -

A teacher has asked me how he can set up his scheduler so as to deny students cancelling a booking. I tried changing permissions in the activity for the student role, with no effect.  I Googled the problem and landed on this forum page. 

If I understand correctly, students can now cancel at any time, regardless of activity permissions?  Are there any workarounds to this behavior?

In reply to Marc Couture

by Henning Bostelmann -

Hello Marc,

students can cancel their booking, regardless of permissions. However, they cannot do so "at any time". In the Scheduler settings page, you can configure a "guard time". If this is set to, say, 4 hours, then students can cancel (or change) their booking only until 4 hours before their slot begins.

by Marc Couture -

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, that option doesn't work for our needs, we want to be able to block cancellations completely .  I guess we'll have to look elsewhere.