Pass/Fail grade without values - is this possible?

Pass/Fail grade without values - is this possible?

by Jane Moore -
Number of replies: 5

Hi

I'm using Moodle version Moodle 2.7.4+ (Build: 20150129)

I use a custom grade scale Fail/Pass and in the gradebook when I have graded an activity as 'Pass' there also appears a score of 100% (which is logical); however, I don't want an actual score, either in points or percentage. Is this possible? If yes, how do I change the required settings please?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Jane smile

In reply to Jane Moore

Re: Pass/Fail grade without values - is this possible?

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Good Morning Jane,

In our school, we acknowledge the completion of Honors-level assignments by using Outcomes. This allows us to essentially use a Pass/Fail scale (we call it Honors Complete/Incomplete) which does not add any points to the course grade, as a regular Scale would do.

As an admin, you need to add a site-wide Outcome (Site Admin - Grades - Outcomes)

Teachers then go to the course settings and enable outcomes, and then add the outcome to each assignment (while setting the assignment grade to No Grade). We ended up creating our own category to place our Honors assignments in so they are grouped together in the gradebook. I've attached directions that I gave to my staff to add the outcomes to their classes (Hopefully this will be helpful to you.). When teachers grade these assignments, there is no option to give a grade, but in the last column on the grading page, there is the option to select the pass/fail from the outcome drop down.

Here is an image of what this would look like to a student (notice the category total has no grade)

Note, we haven't tried this with Quizzes, only Assignments. Also, another option that was recommended to me before I decided to use Outcomes was to use a pass/fail scale (which does assign a grade) but then have that category drop the lowest grade.

In reply to John Provasnik

by Jane Moore -

Thanks John, I'll have a look at this - I did toy with the idea of using Outcomes at one stage and didn't in the end although I can't remember why ... Jane smile

In reply to Jane Moore

by Carl Boyd -

Hi Jane,

Are you just looking to hide the column from students in the User Report? At our college, we had two devs that hid the column using some CSS. However, in 2.8 I believe this is a core feature.

Also, when it comes to the gradebook as far as I understand when you setup a scale the values are assigned points, for example I teach both level 1 and Level 3 and our scales are as follows:

Level 1

• Not yet complete (this is assigned 0 points by Moodle automatically)
  • Resubmit (this is assigned 1 points by Moodle automatically)
  • Pass (this is assigned 2 points by Moodle automatically)

Level 3

• Not yet complete (this is assigned 0 points by Moodle automatically)
  • Resubmit (this is assigned 1 points by Moodle automatically)
  • Pass (this is assigned 2 points by Moodle automatically)
  • Merit (this is assigned 3 points by Moodle automatically)
  • Distinction(this is assigned 4 points by Moodle automatically)

This comes in handy when you are trying to calculate overall grades. Hope this helps :D

Carl

In reply to Carl Boyd

by Jane Moore -

Thanks Carl, I'll look into this a bit further; initially all I wanted is to have Not Yet Passed/Pass in the grade book and without the 0% or 100%.

Jane smile

In reply to Jane Moore

by Paula Clough -

Jane,

I have come back to this post several times wanting to know the answer. I have taken the information given above and come up with a possible solution.  Since there is no way I can understand your entire situation, I realize it might not entirely fit with your needs.  The grade book I was using was aggregated as simple weighted means in Moodle 2.8 so the blanks are ungraded items.

Try this:

• Go to Administration>Grade Administration>Setup>Course grade settings
    • Grade item settings- Letter --make sure it only says letter nothing in parenthesis.
    • Overview report- show rank hide
    • User Report- 
      • Show rank- hide
      • show percentages- hide
      • show weightings- hide
      • show letter grades- show
      • show contribution to course total- hide
      • show ranges- hide
    • These should take out all the rankings, weightings and percentages.
  • Go to Administration>Grade Administration>Scales as Carl Suggested
    • Create the scale you want incomplete/fail/pass
  • Go to Administration>Grade Administration>Letters
    • This is where you can change the letter grades for just this course if you need them different for this course.  You will still have to figure out a percentage for each level to get the letter grade so it can figure. For the 3 point scale.. Incomplete =0%, Fail = 50%, Pass = 100%.  
    • You can decide what percentage will be the difference between pass/fail the course and put them there.
  • Go to each assignment/grade item edit settings and make sure this scale is selected for the grading section

See the screen shots below for samples.  If you don't want  course totals to show, put in an assignment that you intend to remain hidden. By default the  totals will not show on the user reports for students.

I hope that was helpful.

cool

Attachment GRADER_REPORT_PASS_FAIL (1).png
Attachment PAS_FAIL_GR_USER_3_UR.png