An error occurred deleting old backup data

An error occurred deleting old backup data

by James Stewart -
Number of replies: 4
Having recently installed moodle 1.5.2 on an Open BSD 3.7 box running apache 1.3.29. Mysql 4.0.23, php 4.3.10, I recieve the above error if i try to back up anything. I then need to refresh the mysql database, as it performs strangely after an attempted backup.

Have copied gunzip and gzip to /var/www/usr/bin along with libraries they depend on into /var/www/usr/lib and libexec set them for compression and uncompression in admin menu with no difference.

Please Help as system unusable if I have to refresh the database every time somebody attempts a backup.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Stewart

Re: An error occurred deleting old backup data

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi,

have you seen this recent discussion. It explains common cause for that error.

Anyway, what are you doing with gzip and gunzip. You have to use "zip" and "unzip" and point to their current location in your server (without move them at all).

Finally, I can not imagine anything in the backup related with your " it performs strangely after an attempted backup" problem. Strange...

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by James Stewart -

The discussion mentioned suggests corruption. I've wiped the moodle database and web directory and then reinstalled several times in effort to solve  without a hickup so didn't suspect corruption.

mdl_backup_config, mdl_backup_courses, mdl_backup_files, mdl_backup_log

are all empty wheras mdl_backup_ids contains:

+-------------+------------+--------+--------+--------------------+
| backup_code | table_name | old_id | new_id | info               |
|  1127740668 | user       |      2 |   NULL | adminteacher       |
|  1127737754 | user       |      2 |   NULL | adminteacher       |
|  1127737754 | user       |      5 |   NULL | student            |
|  1127740668 | user       |      5 |   NULL | student            |
|  1127746383 | user       |      2 |   NULL | adminteacherneeded |

The /moodledata/temp/backup directory was deleted before each attempt.

After attempting a backup, Course Creator List will be empty and I get Database Connection Failed errors for variou things like theme selection. If I then go into mysql, many tables are reported as containing no fields including

mdl_backup_courses, mdl_backup_files', mdl_backup_log'

and the MYD can't be found if I try to list a table such as mdl_backup_files, but everything is fine after a mysqladmin refresh within mysql and the web browser.

I assumed gzip and gunzip would be fine as they compress and uncompress zip archives. They were moved under web root along with libraries they require as apache is chrooted.

Also tried info-zip, info-unzip.

I'm begining to think the mysql might be the culprit but something higher than the database as get same problems even when database is recreated with fresh installation.

by James Stewart -
Problem Solved!

MySql was running out of file handles so increased them with --open-files directive.

by Deleted user -

Hi James,

I've just hit the same problem. Can you explain please exactly what you did to get round this.

Regards

Gerald