I’m pleased to announce a number of new features, improvements and bug fixes in the Moodle plugins directory:
- Statistics on the number of sites using a plugin are now available, both the number of sites currently using the plugin and as a chart of usage over time. Usage data is aggregated from available update checks (MDLSITE-4015).
- Downloads, usage and favourite stats are now displayed in lots of places, such as on the search results page, category pages and other listings pages (MDLSITE-3682).
- Category and other listings pages are now sorted with the most popular plugins at the top, as determined by moodle.org users when they mark plugins as their favourites. Recently updated plugins are also prioritised in listings. Thus, to have your plugin at the top of the list, make it awesome so that users love it and keep it up-to-date!
- Screenshots of plugins are now displayed on listings pages. We've always recommended for plugin maintainers to provide illustrative screenshots of their plugin's user interface. If you have multiple screenshots uploaded (as you should!) you can mark one as the "main file" in the screenshots file manager, for use on the listings page. If there is no main file set, the first screenshot is used.
- Small improvements in the navigation block aim to make it clearer whether a stats page applies to the whole directory or just the category page or a particular plugin.
- The chart showing total downloads by month within a single category now correctly shows data for the selected category only, rather than for the whole directory.
- A security bug allowing unauthorized access to the list of other user's sites has been fixed (MDLSITE-4056).
Many thanks to everybody who helped with the implementation of these features in the tracker, forums or chats.