Internal server error and no help from web hosting company

Internal server error and no help from web hosting company

by Corinne Mils -
Number of replies: 5
Hi,

I've been struggling for days with the following problem :
I uploaded moodle to my domain on the web, but had an "internal server error" during online configuration.

The hosting company won't help, just saying things like "check your code" (very helpful), and that the code doesn't respect their rules. They use Apache on Linux machines.

So here I am, not knowing where to look to find a solution, and realizing that CMS are a great invention, provided you are able to get into the code and know a lot about PHP configuration, which is not the case here.

Can anyone give me clues ?
Thanks Corinne
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Corinne Mils

Re: Internal server error and no help from web hosting company

by Corinne Mils -
one more info :
today I've removed all the moodle files from the server, and installed everything again --> when I tried to open the default page with my navigator, I had this internal server error at once.

Corinne
In reply to Corinne Mils

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Are you sure that your server supports PHP?

Can you put smuggle a file "phpinfo.php" into you Moodle-directory with the single liner:
--- (cut here)
<?php phpinfo(); ?>
---
and call http://your.server/moodle/phpinfo.php and tell us what happens?

BTW, a suggesion to the Moodle-developers: How about leaving the phpinfo.php in the standard installation?
In reply to Corinne Mils

by M Ghazaly Abdul Rahman -
How fast is your internet connection & is it stable enough? Which FTP client are u using? Sometimes, this error can occur if your files were not properly uploaded to the server.

I used to have problems using CuteFTP. Now I just use the freely downloadable FileZilla. smile

-Ghazaly-
In reply to Corinne Mils

by Just H -
Hi Corinne

I had an "internal server error" when I first installed a few months ago.

Not exactly sure what the issue was as my host just fixed it up for me but they did say: "This error was being caused by the Moodle install, it seems the Moodle install places some php_value lines in to the .htaccess, which are not valid on our systems and were the cause of the errors."

Might be the same issue for you and point your hosts in the right direction.

Regards
H

In reply to Just H

by Corinne Mils -
Hi everybody,

Thanks for your suggestions.
Yes, my host supports PHP.
I use filezilla.

I did create a script calling phpinfo(), and here is the beginning of the page :

PHP Version 4.3.10-2

System Debian GNU/Linux
Configure Command ./configure
Server API CGI/ProXad
Virtual Directory Support disabled
PHP API 20020918
PHP Extension 20020429
Zend Extension 20021010
Thread Safety disabled
Registered PHP Streams php, http, ftp, compress.bzip2, compress.zlib

As for a problem with .htaccess, I'll tell the host about it. But I wrote them an angry email yesterday, so they might not want to help any further (not that they helped much so far...)

Corinne