SCORM Launch – Force IE 10 Browser Mode (Not Compatibility)

SCORM Launch – Force IE 10 Browser Mode (Not Compatibility)

by Pam O'Connor -
Number of replies: 2

Hello, and thanks in advance for any insight anyone can provide! 

Issue/Question: How can I force IE 10 Browser mode (not compatibility view) when a SCORM course is launched?

Background: I have a course that works perfectly in IE9.  We recently upgraded to IE10.  The course navigation buttons do not work in IE10 compatibility mode.  I did some troubleshooting with a Trivantis tech rep (it is a Lectora title) who stated the course will work properly if the LMS will run it in regular IE 10 mode.  When I change the browser setting from IE 10 Compat View to  IE 10, the settings do not remain intact when the course launches in a new window.  The window which displays the course defaults back to IE Compat View.  When I try to change the setting in the new window (which isn’t the ideal solution anyway) it gives me an error ‘A required (scoid) was missing.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated!

Pam

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pam O'Connor

Re: SCORM Launch – Force IE 10 Browser Mode (Not Compatibility)

by Ron Meske -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hello Pam,

You did not mention which version of Moodle you are using or if you are using a custom theme.  Based on your description it sounds like the theme may be forcing IE 10 into compatibility mode.  I recommend first trying the clean Theme to see if this helps.

Another possibility is that the browser itself is set to display the site in compatibility mode.  Check the "Compatibility View Settings" in IE.

If nothing else helps you can customize the theme you are using to force IE to display in one of the modes.  To do this you will first need to identify the theme you are using, and how you are launching the course; Embedded or New Window.    If you are using "Embedded" then locate the embedded.php layout file for your them and modify it.  If you are using "New Window" then locate the "popup.php" layout for your theme.

One you have identified the correct layout file, open it and add the following line in the <head> section:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge" />

This will tell IE to operate in it's normal version unless it is over-ridden with an IE setting.  You can also change Edge to a version number.  However, setting the version number to say IE=10 will not make IE 9 act like 10, it will still only be IE 9.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ron Meske

Re: SCORM Launch – Force IE 10 Browser Mode (Not Compatibility)

by Pam O'Connor -

Ron,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.  Your guidance helped solve my issue.

Although IE was not set to run in compatibility mode, the site which our Moodle is hosted from was unknowingly set to do so as a Group Policy Object.  We removed from one machine to test and IE stayed in normal mode when the SCORM was launched in a new window.

We will this update org wide soon.  In the meantime, I added the line you provided to the popup.php layout file.  That worked perfectly!

Thanks again for your help; I really appreciate you taking the time to assist!