Single certificate for multiple courses

Single certificate for multiple courses

by Achappan M -
Number of replies: 12

I would like to receive a single certificate once other courses are completed. But I could not able to make it as possible because certificate criteria settings only for current course not dependent with other course completion criteria. 

Please suggest how to make it possible according to my scenario?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Achappan M

Re: Single certificate for multiple courses

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello. I don't have the certificate module installed so I can't check this but I would have thought that you could make the certificate available upon completion of the course. And you can make completion of the course dependent on other courses being completed. Does that not work? 

I am moving this post to the Certificate forum by the way. 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Achappan M -

Hello. Thank you!

Yes. I can make completion of the course dependent on other courses being completed. But I could not able to make the certificate for parent course based all the dependent courses are completed which means the parent course certificate will depends on dependent courses completion and should enable once all the courses are completed.

In reply to Achappan M

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Just to clarify - you are saying you cannot make the certificate in a course only available when the course is complete? (And the course is complete only when other courses have been marked complete) You are saying that is not possible?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Achappan M -
Yes. Please consider the second option that the certificate should be available when the other courses have been marked as complete in a course.

Here I could not able to set any criteria for a certificate in a course when other courses are complete.
In reply to Achappan M

by Peter Bowen -

Two methods here.

Method a)

There is an additional plugin which allows availability only once the course you are in is complete.

https://moodle.org/plugins/view/availability_coursecompleted

If the course completion criteria is the other courses you require, then the current course would not be complete until the other courses are complete.

Combine these two, and the certificate will appear once the other courses plus the current course is complete.

Method b)

There is another plugin which collects grades from another course.

https://moodle.org/plugins/view/mod_subcourse

For each course, link it to an activity subcourse. The certificate availability can then be set on the completion of all the subcourses.

Kind regards
Peter

Kind regards
Peter

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Peter Bowen

by Achappan M -
Hello Peter!

Thank you!

The first plugin is suitable for our requirement.

Shall I know any plugin for folder tree view between parent and child courses.

For example,

- Category 1
  -- Parent Course 1
      --- Child Course 1
      --- Child Course 2
      --- Child Course 3

- Category 2
  -- Parent Course 2
      --- Child Course 1
      --- Child Course 2
      --- Child Course 3

Best  Regards,
Achappan M
In reply to Achappan M

by Brad Smith -

I actually found this thread because I've created a module for defining certifications that require an arbitrary set of accomplishments, including passing classes, getting above a certain score on specific activities within multiple classes, and even achieving other certifications, and I wasn't sure whether this was a thing that others are likely to care about.

Right now the interface isn't something I would want to make others deal with, but if such a module would be useful to others, I can put cleaning it up and putting it out there on my TODO list. 

Thoughts?

In reply to Brad Smith

by Achappan M -

Thank you Brad!

We know that moodle has standard interfaces and activities for the users to use it.

Yes! this feature as a plugin will definitely useful for others also.

Because in moodle, there is no direct interfaces to see the metacourse and childcourses relationships for a particular category. And Course meta link is used for enrollment purpose from child course level and not from parent course level.

I saw the plugin Ascendent and Descendent Courses plugin, but its not suitable for us.

Please provide your concern to us about this requirement.

In reply to Achappan M

by Achappan M -

Hello,

Could you please provide your kind response for my query?

In reply to Achappan M

by Brad Smith -

Sorry, I'm not sure what you are asking me for. Once I have written a proper interface for my certification plugin I will be happy to release it (or, if you have people who would be willing and able to write one sooner than I could, I can release it as-is). I don't know exactly when I'll have time to write that interface, but once I have I'll post here to notify you. 

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Brad Smith

by Achappan M -
Okay Brad! 

Thank you for your good support!

Kind Regards,

Achappan M

In reply to Achappan M

by Brad Smith -

Hello Achappan,

I'm in the process of upgrading to Moodle 2.9, and am investigating whether the badges system (which has been in Moodle since 2.5, I think) could replace my home-grown certificates system. The only thing it seems to lack is a good admin dashboard for showing who has which badges, though I might just be missing something.

If you haven't already, you might want to look into whether it could meet your needs. You can definitely create a badge that requires that the user has passed an arbitrary set of classes.