Tips when gradebook appears to not calculate correctly

Tips when gradebook appears to not calculate correctly

by Sharon Gray -
Number of replies: 0

Version: 2.8.1

I've had number of faculty contact me with concerns that Moodle's gradebook apparently wasn't calculating grades correctly. But, it turns out Moodle was working just fine; the users simply weren't aware of how their course settings were impacting the gradebook.  So, in case this is helpful to others, here are the tips I just sent out to the faculty:

REMEMBER: If you have Moodle's gradebook set to exclude non-empty grades, you MUST be sure to put in zeros rather than leaving items blank in order for Moodle to correctly calculate final grades. Not doing so will result in the final grades for students with missing assignments appearing higher than they should be. (This is not a bug.)

Also, hidden items in your gradebook can result in the student's version of his or her grade being different from the instructor's version of the student's grade. Note that the instructor's version is correct, but the student will see a different, possibly higher, grade. The easy fix is to UN-hide all items (assignments, quizzes, grade items) to provide students with an accurate calculation. (Note: You can check to see how your course handles hidden items when calculating grades. Click Grades and select Course Grade Settings from the drop-down menu. Review the settings in the Overview Report and the User Report areas.)

Sharon Gray, Director of Instructional Technology
Augustana College, Sioux Falls, SD