Disabling Forum

Disabling Forum

by saadat rahimi -
Number of replies: 5

Hi. It night sound weird but I want to totally disable "Forum" from moodle. For some reasons I don't want admins access this part. Consider a moodle without "Forum"? Is it possible? How can I do it? 

I know here is not the place but I want the same thing for "badges".

I'm using moodle 2.8. 

Thanks in advance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to saadat rahimi

Re: Disabling Forum

by Just H -

Considering admins can do everything on a site I doubt you can. You could possibly delete the forum and badges and create a modified admin role but that role would be severely limited I would think.

In reply to Just H

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

There is another way, and I think it is likely to be more successful, and cleaner... In Permissions go through all the Roles and ensure that the capabilities to create, delete, view, edit, post, save and reply are all set to Deny, or Prohibit. Start with Administrator and then work downward. I seem to recall that that capability is "Inherited", so if Admins role has it on Prohibit, that should apply all the way through..but don't take my word for it. You can also deactivate the forum plugin. If you want specific people to be able to access a forum, then create a new Role, and give that Role to those people. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You can't deactivate the forum module. It's the only module you can't delete or hide because of the major role it plays in the social constructionist approach to learning upon which Moodle is based.  Look at Site administration>Plugins>Activity modules>Manage activities and you will see what I mean. You can deny the permission of teachers to add a forum and other users to access it, as has been mentioned above, but admins can by default "do anything" so if you mean the site admin, they will still be able to add forums if they want.  (I don't know what happens if you try to remove the forum module from your server; I;m not going to try smile )

In reply to Mary Cooch

by saadat rahimi -

I suspected that it might be impossible. Since we will have two admins, how can I restrict the access of other admin user to forums or some other things? Should I define a new role? 

In reply to saadat rahimi

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

A new Admin Role? That won't achieve much I am afraid. As admins can add and remove permissions, removing permissions to access forums from an Admin is not going to do anything. If you wish to restrict access, then just remove the capability. As Mary has pointed out, you can't remove the forum, but you can restrict access for everyone except an Admin. If you remove the permissions for Admin to change permissions then you create a whole new nightmare.