Impossible to install moodle, moodledata problem.

by Fernando Garcia Hansen -
Number of replies: 12

This is the error mesage.

Parent directory (/var/sentora/hostdata/zadmin/public_html) is not writeable. Data directory (/var/sentora/hostdata/zadmin/public_html/moodledata) cannot be created by the installer.

Even if I create this folder /home/moodle with owner www-data and 777 persmisions it does not allow to install.

Is there any easy way to installa like wordpress, sugarcrm, joomla, suitecrm etc?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fernando Garcia Hansen

Re: Impossible to install moodle, moodledata problem.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi, Fernando!

Those other opensource web based apps (at least WP/Joomla) do not require a data folder outside it's own code root.   Plus, some systems setups/OS protections make it even more difficult.   For example, an e-smith system is so secure that installation of just about anything that has requirements outside of document root is impossible unless one has command line access and knows (exactly) what to do.

I see 'Sentora' which is a free open sourced web hosting control panel - Linux based - and due to the owner shared I assume a Debian based operating system.   Have to ask what 'zadmin'?   *If that is the superadmin account for Sentora system - not a 'client' type account on a Sentora system - one might not be able to install anything in zadmin.*

So first piece of advice ... learn the system you have.

If am correct about above, found this: http://docs.sentora.org/?node=23

but don't see anything that shows apache configuration.

Could try this (but dependent upon * above) ...

If you have the level of access to be able to change document root for apache one could make the moodle folder in /var/sentora/hostdata/zadmin/public_html/ document root.  And manually create a moodledata folder inside /var/sentora/hostdata/zadmin/public_html/  Set ownership/permissions to be wide open to the www-data user and place a restrictive .htaccess file at the root of moodledata.

The above would require restart of web services before attempting install again.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

For ../public_html not to be writeable, this is real odd since this is your folder that is supposed to be open to the Internet.

You have multiple problems, each needing to be addressed.

1) Check with your hosting company to see if they provide a one-click install with moodle, since they do this for other products.  Most of us here on moodle.org only recommend this for experimentation.

2) Have you created a database for moodle?

3) Have you created a moodledata folder, before public_html such as ../moodledata/public_html.

4) See if you can create a folder and a file from scratch in public_html to see if you really cannot write in public_html.  If you can't, talk with your hosting company about this.

5) We typically suggest to install moodle from scratch, which is really not that hard.  Have you read the moodle docs about how to do this?

6) Do you know what versions of php and mySQL you have?  Make sure that they are adequate for the version of moodle you wish to run.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Fernando Garcia Hansen -

Thank you for your answers.

No way. Imposible to solve the moodledata problem. I have installed the sentora control panel in a digital ocean vps, and I have root privileges but it does not work.

So I have to pay for another vps offered by google with the bitnami preconfigured moodle.

It works but it is imposible to use the smtp mail.

I can not send emails to the users.

Too dificult software to use. Made for teaching, made for teachers but built in a manner that is useles.

by Bret Miller -

I don't know why you had problems. I have two different Moodle instances installed on two different VPS with Digital Ocean. Of course, I did all the configuration from the command line, not with a control panel. It is certainly not impossible.

In reply to Bret Miller

by Milciades Ramirez -

Hello Bret... I hope you are fine...

Well... I have been trying hard...

Could you please list the steps in order to install moodle?

I have Centos 7 and using Sentora as cpanel... and the problem with moodledata folder is difficult..

Thanks in advance...

In reply to Milciades Ramirez

by Bret Miller -

I could generally list what I did, but I use Ubuntu with Webmin, so it's unlikely to help you with Centos and Sentora.

by Just H -

"Too dificult software to use. Made for teaching, made for teachers but built in a manner that is useles."

Yet used by hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people around the world on a daily basis ... makes you think !

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Made for teachers to *use*... administrators to *install*

If you think Moodle is tricky then you want to try installing some other server-side software that I can think of. Moodle is as simple as it gets, but a server-side install always comes with some baggage wink

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I am a teacher, but also have some abilities with computers.  Moodle was new to me around six years ago.  Yep, I had to learn a few new things on the "server" side, all pretty new to me.  I was willing to invest some time to learn how to use moodle.  The alternatives (other LMSs) were worse.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Ditto to Rick!

Why people automatically assume if something is build primarily for educators, means educators will have command over every aspect of it? No doubt educators can make a better use of a LMS rather than a Moodle Administrator.

You are essentially saying a software made for medical purposes should be straight forward for Medical practitioners to install and run on their own.

by Wagner Dos Santos Backes -

Hi Fernando, I had the same problem, I'm using Sentora manager in 1.0 version.

To solve this problem, in the Sentora interface go to:

> Server Admin 

> Module Admin

> Apache config :

Set "Use Open Base Dir" to "false"

Check "Force Update"

And "Save Changes"

>>In section "Override a Virtual Host Setting"

>>>Select VHost where Moodle is

uncheck "OpenBase Enabled"

"Save VHost"

This worked for me, I hope it helps you.