Assignment grade hidden from students if assignment activity is hidden in 2.8.6

Assignment grade hidden from students if assignment activity is hidden in 2.8.6

by Zak Mussig -
Number of replies: 3

We recently upgraded from 2.6.6 to 2.8.6 (between spring semester and summer).

It appears now that assignment grades are being hidden from students if the corresponding assignment activity is hidden on the course page, even if the assignment grade is set as visible in the grade book. Viewing the user report shows the grade as visible, but switching role to student removes the grade from the user report. It also does not appear when actually login in as one of the students.

I have searched but haven't found an answer yet. Is this a new behavior as of 2.7 or 2.8? Also, is this tied to a permission that I could return to the student role (View grades for hidden item, or something along those lines)? I looked through the role permissions, but nothing jumped out at me.

Thanks for any clarity anyone can provide!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Zak Mussig

Re: Assignment grade hidden from students if assignment activity is hidden in 2.8.6

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

On 2.6 this happens a lot. My teachers hide activities that have point values assigned to them, and as soon as they hide them, students cannot see their full grades. I have made sure my teachers either (A) remove any point value from the hidden assignment, or (B) move the assignment into an orphaned topic so it can be out of view from the course page for students but still be technically 'unhidden'.

As for permissions or settings to deal with this, someone else would be more knowledge able than I, but I thought I'd share my workaround.

In reply to Zak Mussig

Re: Assignment grade hidden from students if assignment activity is hidden in 2.8.6

by Floyd Saner -

Zak,

Yes, there are settings to make overall grades visible when individual assignments are hidden.

The global settings are in Site administration ... Grades ... Report settings ... Overview report.  Also in Site administration ... Grades ... Report settings ... User report.  See the image below

Local course grade book settings can override the global settings.

grade book settings

In reply to Zak Mussig

by Laurie Parker -

Has there been any update on this issue? We are experiencing the same thing on Moodle 2.8.7. Instructors hide the assignment activity on the main course page, but then want the grade to appear in the gradebook. To do this, the instructor changes the assignment to "Show" in the gradebook (leaving it hidden on the main course page.) The link even turns on the blue on the "Setup" page indicating that it's visible. When the instructor views the User Report, it appears like the grade item is visible to students, but in reality it's still hidden. Thanks in advance for any advice.