Cheers for the reply guys. Here's clarification from my previous posting -
1. We're a centre with about 1100 registered users. ( 100 staff / 1000 students - approx) So I imagine our data requirements would be pretty small.
2. By 'pressure' I mean the network guy having to keep an eye on server use/failure/backups and worrying about loss of the database associated with the VLE. (He is constantly busy with all of the other things associated with his job such as hardware, e-mail admin, software licencing, AV stuff, Chrome book management etc) having to manage and maintain upgrades and plugins is just another headache I imagine. As an example we are running 2.3.4 and teachers are getting all sorts of issues with uploading and running MS Office products and I am getting problems with transferring XML files from course to another for one of my staff. I suspect it is because of our old version. When he tried to upgrade us our plugins were incompatible. (That's another story but I'd like to stay focused on the out sourcing thing at the moment)
3. The VLE isn't heavily subscribed to by all. Roughly 6 or 7 departments use it for tests, multi media resources, documents etc. Nothing too fancy. But the ones that use it rely heavily upon it for students uploading work to be marked and stored. - my department being one of them.
4. As opposed to a survey on these forums to find out who out sources their Moodle I just wanted to know generally if we were out of kilter with the crowd by sitting it on our own server. If the majority of VLE administrators pay a monthly charge to sit it on someone else's server.
5. We are in the process of shifting away from Outlook and MS Office stuff to Google Apps and can see them integrating nicely if not all the staff are happy with going 100% towards G App collaboration working and would still like to maintain local control over their resources as well.
6. Despite being an advocate of Cloud teaching using G Apps I'm still not absolutely convinced that G Apps such as Classroom offers the flexibility I can get with Moodle classes.
7. Regarding plugins we only use very basic stuff and mainly stick with the standard Moodle lessons/quizzes/upload.pdf sort of stuff.
8. The focal points of my original posting was mainly -
How much does it roughly cost (monthly) to out source it? What sort of commitment do you have to make (Easy to cancel etc)
How much 'control' do you still retain by out sourcing it?
Do the hosts upgrade for you if asked to do so?
Finally and a biggy for us here I'd love to here from any centres who are sticking with Moodle whilst migrating over to Chrome Book use with G Apps, specifically any issues they have come across and how they are integrating one with the other. There MUST be some out in Moodle Land!
Cheers in advance fellas !