Off site versus on site hosting

Off site versus on site hosting

by Paul Langdon -
Number of replies: 5

Hi Guys

we are switching to more and more cloud based stuff but still sit our Moodle on the school server.

Couple of questions -

1. How many of you have it hosted off site?

2. What is the average monthly cost? 

3. Do any of them do the version updates for you or do you still do that as Administrators?

I'm just thinking of the pressure and problems that our network guy gets all the time when he tries to update versions.

Cheers in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Langdon

Re: Off site versus on site hosting

by Derek Chirnside -

Paul, Various groups I work with do it different ways.

But 'pressures and problems"  ??  Can you be more precise?

Do you have special hacks or plugins>

-Derek

In reply to Paul Langdon

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

Apart from the details requested by Derek about "the pressure and problems that our network guy gets all the time when he tries to update versions" you need to say how big the school is, what your Moodle version policy is, what plug-ins you use, the intensity of use, whether exams are conducted through Moodle, is chat allowd, etc.

Even with all that there is a practical problem with Q1. How are you going to count? You need need a survey!

Just a clarification: by on-site vs. off-site you mean whether to run Moodle on your own hardware in the school LAN or oursource it to somebody, who'll run the server somewhere in the Internet, right?

Note that the search for a hosting provider belongs to the "Hardware and performance" forum https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=596. Once you start a new discussion there, you'll see a detailed page with related information.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Paul Langdon -

Cheers for the reply guys. Here's clarification from my previous posting -

1. We're a centre with about 1100 registered users. ( 100 staff / 1000 students - approx) So I imagine our data requirements would be pretty small.

2. By 'pressure' I mean the network guy having to keep an eye on server use/failure/backups and worrying about loss of the database associated with the VLE. (He is constantly busy with all of the other things associated with his job such as hardware, e-mail admin, software licencing, AV stuff, Chrome book management etc) having to manage and maintain upgrades and plugins is just another headache I imagine. As an example we are running 2.3.4 and teachers are getting all sorts of issues with uploading and running MS Office products and I am getting problems with transferring XML files from course to another for one of my staff. I suspect it is because of our old version. When he tried to upgrade us our plugins were incompatible. (That's another story but I'd like to stay focused on the out sourcing thing at the moment)

3. The VLE isn't heavily subscribed to by all. Roughly 6 or 7 departments use it for tests, multi media resources, documents etc. Nothing too fancy. But the ones that use it rely heavily upon it for students uploading work to be marked and stored. - my department being one of them.

4. As opposed to a survey on these forums to find out who out sources their Moodle I just wanted to know generally if we were out of kilter with the crowd by sitting it on our own server. If the majority of VLE administrators pay a monthly charge to sit it on someone else's server.

5. We are in the process of shifting away from Outlook and MS Office stuff to Google Apps and can see them integrating nicely if not all the staff are happy with going 100% towards G App collaboration working and would still like to maintain local control over their resources as well. 

6. Despite being an advocate of Cloud teaching using G Apps I'm still not absolutely convinced that G Apps such as Classroom offers the flexibility I can get with Moodle classes.

7. Regarding plugins we only use very basic stuff and mainly stick with the standard Moodle lessons/quizzes/upload.pdf sort of stuff.

8.   The focal points of my original posting was mainly - 

How much does it roughly cost (monthly) to out source it? What sort of commitment do you have to make (Easy to cancel etc)

How much 'control' do you still retain by out sourcing it?

Do the hosts upgrade for you if asked to do so?

Finally and a biggy for us here I'd love to here from any centres who are sticking with Moodle whilst migrating over to Chrome Book use with G Apps, specifically any issues they have come across and how they are integrating one with the other.  There MUST be some out in Moodle Land! big grin

Cheers in advance fellas !

Paul

In reply to Paul Langdon

by Robert Brenstein -
Normal hosting providers provide you the server environment but you still have to do all the work. Getting a VPS on external hosting would move the hardware and operating environment from your site, but the rest your IT guy would still have to do. There are hosts that offer complete Moodle service, but these are generally more expensive and usually you will have some restrictions what goes into your installation (unless you pay even more).