Questionnaire for data gathering over time?

Questionnaire for data gathering over time?

by Ken Russell -
Number of replies: 2

A teacher asked me if  moodle has the ability to allow students in her class to input data over time and allow the teacher to download the data as a CSV file for analysis in Excel. Let me explain further:

This moodle course is for an online PE class. The teacher would like students to enter their exercise data each week (number of reps for curls, situps, bench press, etc.) into moodle in order to keep a record of their progress. Students would not be able to see other student's data. This would require a customized form in moodle. Each week the teacher would download the data as a CSV into Excel. Hopefully, Moodle would allow the student data to accumulate (their data for every entry would be available).  I have used built-in tools to create this kind of data gathering functionality in Drupal and other programs. Can the Questionnaire plugin be used for this kind of functionality in Moodle?

Thanks a bunch for your help!!!

Ken Russell
Moodle Admin
Bellingham Schools

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ken Russell

Re: Questionnaire for data gathering over time?

by Paula Clough -

Ken,

I don't know enough about working with the questionnaire for this, but if it was me, I would use a database, with all the possible exercises as separate fields(if there are not lots and lots of different kinds). Then each week students would add a new entry with their work for the week.  Teacher can download each week and either keep all previous data or easily delete previous data and only keep that weeks work.

Perhaps someone else knows more about the questionnaire.

cool

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Russell

Re: Questionnaire for data gathering over time?

by Sarah Ashley -

Hi Ken,

I agree with Paula. The database activity would serve you best.

To maintain the privacy of each student, you could put each student into a group by themselves, and set the database to Separate Groups.