Search by teacher

Search by teacher

by Gabriele Carioli -
Number of replies: 5
Here at our dept each teacher has many courses. Studends usually know their teachers but not the exact name of each course, wich changes every year and is generally not easy to remember.

AFAIK the standard course search box searches within course name, short name and description.

Is it possible to search courses by teacher?

My workaround is the QuickFind plugin since the profile page of each teacher has that teachers's course list.

Of course it would be much better a plugin giving directly a course list as a result. A SQL query for such a search is easy but I've zero knowledge of Moodle APIs.

Any clue?

In alternative, could a block such as QuickFind be placed at the bottom of the home page together with the standard course search box?

In any case many thanks to all the moodle community for building and maintaining such an excellent tool.

P.S.

I'm running Moodle 2.9

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gabriele Carioli

Re: Search by teacher

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The block QuickFind can be placed anywhere a block can be placed.  However, you will need to give students rights to use and also give them access to all the users in the site which is probably not the best idea.

Why not just add the teacher name to the summary of each course and then they can search for the teacher name in  the search courses box.  It will search the summary as well as the course title.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Gabriele Carioli -

The problem is that our director has decided that any teacher can create his/her own courses. All teachers are also course-creators. Of course I can ask them to add their name to the description but I'm quite sure that the will eventually forget to do it.

On the other hand I can set QuickFind to only search among teachers. This is good enough. And if I've enough time I'll see if I can modify that plugin.

Thanks!

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Alida Isolani -

I installed QuickFind block in Moodle 3.1 and seems perfect for me. 

My problem is that I didn't be able to enable it for all user. I'm new in Moodle and perhaps I don't know all settings.

QickFind is compatible till Moodle 2.8... it could be a problem?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Alida

In reply to Alida Isolani

by Gabriele Carioli -

Hi,

you should enable authenticated users (or even guests) to use that block and to add that block to their home page.

Go to: administration -> users -> permissions -> define roles, choose the role you want to change and filter for "Quickfindlist". Allow block usage and anything you need.

Then you can add the block to the default dashboard.

G.

In reply to Gabriele Carioli

by Alida Isolani -

Thank you very much!!!  It works! I forgot to change roles.

Alida