Moodle to the rescue via SneakerNet

Moodle to the rescue via SneakerNet

by John DeBruyn -
Number of replies: 0
Hi all,

Please help me get this to the right forum.  Small rural hospital and school supported by several groups here in the US are located two hours by car from Addis Ababa.  Until very recently, when a new highway went in, that was a six hour road trip.

The Ethiopian sponsors of the hospital and school have an office in Addis with an Internet connection but there is no way for the time being, bad phone lines and prohibitive long distance charges, to make an online connection from the hospital and school to the internet.  This would be very helpful to the provision of educational and medical support over the internet from the supporting organizations here in the US.

A low-tech solution is indicated, perhaps a SneakerNet to send computer disks and/or a computer drive back and forth with data by car (along with mail, passengers and supplies) to and from the office in Addis where the connect to internet in now in place to receive/forward email and files.  

Perhaps a Moodle could be installed on the computer in Addis that could be accessed from the United States and elsewhere in the world via the web as a portal to the Addis office as well as the hospital and school. 
I have a vague idea this would have worked with the old, relatively simple FidoNet BBSs for email and file exchange but how could a Moodle at the hospital and school be used as a clone of the Moodle in Addis that was connected to the web.

Any help much appreciated,

John

John DeBruyn Denver CO USA.

P.S. I am able to connect with my son who is a Moodle enthusiast is there now with a group of nurses and educators from the US.  He will spend some of his time working on the computer at the groups office in Addis. He has a Moodle up here in the States at:

to coordinate the trip. J.  
Average of ratings: -